blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi all, both my father and myself will be entering our first race in two weeks, a two hour hare and hounds in the beginner 250 class. I will be riding a Honda cr250 and my dad a gasgas ece250.
I was wondering what do i need to bring to the race? And How do i set up my mx suspension for hare and hounds. Anything else we should expect?? Any general advise? (Both are beginners and i am 5 11 and 180 pounds)Thanks in advance.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
Have you joined a club? It is a good idea to hook up with a club and ask them if you can guest ride for this first race.
You will need to bring gas for the entire event. Normally your club will pit for you. They will pour your gas, wipe your goggles and give you liquids.
They will also fish you out of the middle of no-where if you break down.

If you cannot find a club, then you will have to pit yourself. Remember to bring gas, clean goggles (in a plastic bag) and cold water. Park your truck along pit row. Then set your gear out. You don't want to go to your truck away from the gas area.

Get to the race early and sign up. Check out the bomb run. Ride the run and make sure you know the holes and rocks. Be careful and ride the return run on the way back to the truck.
On the start, don't ride wild into the dust. It will be hairy, but ride to the bomb (banner) at a good pace. Don't follow the guy in front, just follow the terrain. Be cautious when you get off the trail to pass, there are rocks with your name on them!

Try to finish the race. Don't try to win. Don't go really slow. Just go out and ride to finish.

Good luck,
RAD DAD
(I used to be in HBMC, they are great bunch of guys)

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Yes i have just joined a club and have to get my competiton licence this week. Any idea how much fuel i should fill up the tank with and for how long that it would last?
What spares do you guys usually bring with you to a race? How should i prepare my bike for the race? Thanks for info,

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
You will need gas for 80 to 100 miles. I usually brought my bike with a full tank and a 5 gal can with 3 gallons.
Good Luck,
RAD DAD

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Does anybody know a good starting point on the suspension and fork clicker settings for offroad usage vs motocross. It is a 1995 honda cr250 and i have not touched the suspension settings yet. It feels very stiff and hard over bumps on a field or in woods at speed!

Top Bottom