please help......XR650R 2001-2

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
does anybody have one of these bikes?(XR650R) and if they do can you tell me what there like? I think I want to buy one but I am not sure. if sombody has one or has ridden one tell me your opinion.
..........thanks

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I have ridden them and they are better than you might expect. They have great power once uncorked, about 50 at the rear wheel. The suspension is very well tuned for high speed riding and gives a feeling of confidence. The bike masks it's weight very well.

One of the nice things about that bike is that it does not deflect from it's course at speed. That makes it an easy bike to ride fast. I have not tried one in the tight stuff, however I suspect that it will be fairly good in the tight stuff too. It really feels like a well rounded bike.

The only downside to the bike is that it is a big bike and fits bigger riders best.

BTW I am well over 200 pounds, 5 foot 11 and would consider myself a bigger rider due to size and weight if not height.

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
thanks I am 5'11'' and 180, but I think it would be fine I ride open class bikes pretty good, thanks for the info, I think it is the bike I am gonna buy.............:confused:

tutoroto

Jan 2, 2001
Duneman,
I have owned a 2000 XR650R for about 6 months. Overall, I am very happy with it. I am 6' and 190 lb. and have been riding for about 15 years but still consider myself the recreational intermediate. The XR has a lot of power and is very fast. It also has a lot of engine breaking that takes a little getting used to. I just rode about 110 miles of single track at Stonyford (in CA) this weekend and it works OK in the tight stuff. The front end seems to deflect and bottom on rocks easily but that may just be my suspension setup. I haven't really got the suspension tuned quite right for me yet. I put on applied triple clamps and CR mid pro tapers to move the bars forward. This made a huge difference in handling. The guy I bought it from had already installed the power-up kit (manifold, exhaust insert, main jet, etc) and put a 51 tooth sprocket on the rear. I suggest you go to the yahoo groups and check out the discussion group that is dedicated to the BRP if you haven't already. The link is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R I really like the bike, but next time I may go for a little less power and lighter weight. That's my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
1st of I I must say I hate you for saying you got to ride at stonyford.:) I now live in Iowa but lived in Ca most all my life, the riding out here kinda sucks. I have ridden the older 600's but not the 650, thankyou so much for your imput. I sure miss all my old riding spots......:(

Top Bottom