please reply, need a new 4 stroke

bishbosh

Feb 13, 2008
) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
i am 5' 11" and about 160 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
im aggressive when i need to be lol
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
i plan on riding on trails with some pretty steep slopes in em also theres a track that my friends go to with some jumps that i wanna try
4) Do you have any riding experience?
yes i have an 03 XR 100 that ive been practicing on
5) Do you think you will race ?
probably not .. unless its like a little race down a straightaway on the trails
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
im mechanically inclined
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
i prefer honda 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
dont really have any dealers .. just look it up on kijiji
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
around 1500 - 2500 MAX
10) Do you live in California?
er no?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i am looking for a really reliable 4 stroke bike, only reason im looking for a new bike is because i have outgrown the XR 100, i want the bike to be quick and be able to climb some decently steep hills, also i dont want to be making adjustment to valves or stuff like that every 2 hours, i had my eyes on a CRF 250 but people keep saying they arent the most reliable because of problems .. i dont know what exactly .. they werent clear .. i also had my eyes on a CRF 150 or a CRF 230 ( only has elec start so not really wanting it) and again people are saying no because bikes are heavy .. im so confused any help would be GREATLY appreciated thanks in advance

Apr 30, 2007
CRF250F (probably not the R model?)

or

XR 250

or

XR 400

You will run out of power on the bikes you mentioned.

It will take a little shopping around to get a CRF 250 in your price range...but they would be the best bikes as far as honda goes. You should be able to find an XR 250 in that price range with little trouble - and they are bullet proof (in my personal experience. Brother has one!).

bishbosh

Feb 13, 2008
thanks for the advice but i cant find a XR 250 anywhere .. also i cant really find a CRF 250 ( non R version ) .. do you have any suggestions .. ive mostly just been using kijiji

Apr 30, 2007
Craigslist.

Just type in your city, or one within an hour or two, and you should find a pretty wide selection depending on where you live.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sounds like a CRF250 X would be the best bet.

It's basically a CRF250R setup for woods.. Lights, wider gear box and all.. Not sure if it's tuned different, but I'd imagine so.

But where it's much better than the 230F is the suspension. Way better, and you would be able to take it to the track and jump with no problems.

I saw Mike Larocco place second at Redbud in an amateur race last summer on a 450X.

bishbosh

Feb 13, 2008
thanks guys for all this help .. but i took a ride on a cr 125 and im lovin the 2 strokers, i dont really care about maintenance and stuff anymore cus i cant find ANY decent 4 strokes in this area so i thought id just go with a 2 stroke, im thinking about getting this cr 125 with pro circuit pipe and silencer, renthal bars, new UFO black plastics(shrouds and fenders) 2000$ what do you think ?, i didnt want to open up a new thread cus i didnt no if anyone wuld be mad

Apr 30, 2007
The 125 should do you fine!

I'm looking for one myself actually...

What year? Did you ask what kind of maintenence or work has been done to the bike? Has it been raced?

Keep us posted, and if/when you can, share pics too please! :)

bishbosh

Feb 13, 2008
heres what it says on the AD
** new top and bottom end halfway through last season. pro circuit pipe and silencer. new black ufo plastics. runs great. never raced. will throw in size 12 MX boots, brand new shift pants, jersey and gloves (size large, red)

the bike is a year 2000, i dont know how to get pics on here tho lol.
im going to go look at the bike and see how it runs of course and i wanna see if anything is amiss on the engine and if its like leaking oil or something lol
also .. could anyone kinda clear a matter up for me?, my friends all think im gunna kill myself on this bike because its pretty powerful apparently , im used to honda XR 100 so i can kinda see where they're coming from, does anyone have any advice , im new to 2 strokes

Top Bottom