JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I pulled this plug out of my 2001 WR250F. I put this plug in about 2 months ago. This was after switching to YZ timing, installing a new FMF Q and messing around with the jetting to get rid of the bog. My current jetting is 38 pilot, 170 main and 1 step down on the needle clip(leaner). I also turn the fuel screw trying to dial it in but I’m not sure of its current setting.

I mostly ride on the upper half of the throttle. If I understand what I have read then it seems that I might be to lean. Does this sound correct? The pic isn’t that great but the porcelain is 100% absolutely pure white.

After I leaned the pilot jetting the bike could finally pull itself up a hill. The only negative effect I have is hard starting and a lot of deceleration pop when rolling off the gas at high rpm’s.

My plan is to go up one and the main and needle clip. Any thoughts?

Jeff

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 283

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Yeah...just like riding I need a little more practice with the camera. Im off to read the thread.

Thanks

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I was trying to read off the very tip. Im going to try and peep in there with a flashlight but I dont think I will be able to see in there. The CR8E is pretty narrow.

Thanks for the link...very helpful.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jeff - Cut the threads off like we did in the pictures in the thread. If you don'
t have a good way to do that send me the plug and I'll cut it open on the lathe and shoot the pictures.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
The only thing I have to cut it with is a dremel. If you dont mind I can send it off to you. If you want to PM your address I will send it out Monday.

Thanks
Jeff

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Done!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
No hacksaw laying around?

You went one step down on the needle clip, or on the needle?
Leaner would mean you raised the position of the clip on the needle itself, top clip postition being the leanest groove on the needle.
Just clarifying.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I moved the clip down one position.

I do have a hacksaw but Im still not 100% sure what to look for. I figure since Rich was nice enough to offer I would accept. Jetting is the one thing im having trouble grasping. Im learning but it seems to be a slow process.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
When you move the clip down in the notches it actually raises the needle. This allows for more fuel through that curcuit making it richer.
Raise the needle and lower the clip are essentially the same thing and moves you to the rich side. Many confuse this often.

When I read you post I was certain you had confused this, since moving the needle clip down is a (richer) move not a (leaner) move.

One of my faves: http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Sorry for the confusion. I read my post again and understand your confusion. Sometimes my hands are typing before my brain is done processing.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Jeff, cutting the threads off the plug is a piece-o-cake. I happily chopped up a few plugs to get a reading and a learnin :confused:

HERE is another link to plug reading.

Top Bottom