craig

Jan 7, 2002
Hi all,

My '97 KDX220 came to me without the stock tool kit. I'd like to put one together, and I'm wondering which plug wrench works for you. Moose advertises two, one for liquid cooled and one for air cooled motors. The standard (air cooled) looks like it would work better for the KDX, but without having them handy to test, who knows...

Both can be seen here:

http://www.tgsportbike.com/store/enter.html?target=ToolsMoose.html

Anyone use one or the other?

thanks,
Craig

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I can tell you I bought several aftermarket wrenches after a zipper failure on my fender bag got mine lost. None of 'em worked for diddle.

1. A six point socket gives too wide an º 'selection..(the oem unit is 12 pt.)

2. A long handled unit is nice from a mathematical leverage point of view..but there is not enough room to move it around...and if IT is a 6pt socket it's worse.

Anyway...after buying 3 (I think it was) aftermarket units and finding them unacceptable...moose was one of 'em...I bought another kawi oem wrench.

THEN...my riding buddy found a kawi wrench lying on the side of the road within the week!

BTW...the 'air wrench' usually has a longer reach due to air-cooling fins on air cooled heads. A 'water wrench' is likely shorter cuz of no such cooling fins.

IMO...buy the kawi wrench.

craig

Jan 7, 2002
Hi,

Not exactly what I had hoped to hear, but thanks. I'd rather buy the OEM one only, as opposed to a moose or two and then OEM...

thanks again,
Craig

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Unless you like carrying around a lot of tools, the best choice is the Fredette riders wrench. Front axle, rear axle, and spark plug wrench all in one.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I've got the Fredette wrench, and while the concept is great the execution is a bit less. The outer diameter of the wrench interferes with the coolant housing on the cylinder head. So it kinda sits cockeyed on the plug as you torque it out or in. It still works, but after seeing the quality in all of Jeff's other products, I was a bit surprised.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
the FRP might be clunky to use but as said it includes three tools in one. Remember this is only something for emergency use. When your at home grad the easy to use ratchet and socket. I would personally take the 3in1 tool since you probably won't need it on the trail very often. I am well into my second season on my KDX and have never needed a trail side repair...That's why I ride a KDX :thumb: I used to carry a spare plug but I always ended up giving them to guys on MX bikes that I ran across.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Definitely, whatever you do, DON'T buy the ratcheting plug wrench from Motion Pro. The unit is too wide around the end and there's not enough clearance to get the tool on the plug!

There's my two cents worth!
Chuck

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by KdxChode
I used to carry a spare plug but I always ended up giving them to guys on MX bikes that I ran across.

It's mostly a mental thing. Once you get used to the idea that you have to tilt the FRP wrench a tad, it works just fine - and you consolidate three wenches in your fanny pack. I like your comment about the spare plug! I came to the conclusion awhile ago that I was carrying the extra plugs not for my KDX, but to insure that lack of preparation by other riders on plug-fouling beasts would not spoil a Sunday ride! :thumb:

Kawadougie

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2002
I bought the Fredette wrench and found it necessary to grind some of the metal from the top so it would fit properly on the spark plug. Otherwise it works fine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom