Plunger pin chuck for charging shocks ?

Apr 11, 2007
First I would like to say hello to the regulars around hear. I have been lurking for a few weeks now, and have finally decided to join. It has been quite interesting reading all the back post, their are some really knowlegeable (sorry for the spelling) people posting here. I have to say Jeremy is awsome about giving advise. It's hard to find people who do suspension for a living that will give any info, but you can really tell the ones that don't know smack. Its not that they wouldn't like to share its just that they have to act all top secret just because they don't have a clue and are afraid of being labeled as the posers they actually are. Sorry for the little rant but I think you folks get it.
Now back to my suspension related question. Does anyone know where a person could find a supplier for T handle plunger pin chucks. This is the chuck that threads on to the shrader valve for charging shocks. I just can't see paying for one of the units like a motion pro then still having to buy a tank and regulator. Plus those type of gages require using a air chuck which is reel wasteful. I can get a tank, regulator, and hose delivered for less than a motion pro gage at retail. I know motion pro, racetech, and others don't build their own chucks.
Thanks Wayne.

Apr 11, 2007
Well you would think I was asking for the holy grail or something. Every body I ask seemed not to know, and Google wasn't very helpful. But I finally found a supplier for the chucks at $31.00 apiece. So with bottle, regulator, hose, chuck, I will be out about $200.00 . If any one is interested The company is aircraft-tool. they are under service and support tools page four. The company calls them schrader high pressure strut couplers. Just thought I would share my find with anyone interested. This is the hardest thing I have ever found , took about 10 hours of google searching.

take care
Wayne.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
what the hell was wrong with getting a small t style one for tire/tubes-a schrader valve is a schrader valve- there like 3 dollars i think-it works for me-lol

Apr 11, 2007
I have tried to check my pm's but it won't let me. I gives me a messege that I do not have permision to access the acount. It is probabley because it is a new account and hasn't been totally activated I guess.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
If you can its best to use a push on style of air chuck, if you have a threaded chuck with a push pin center thats perfect, I bought the expensive race tech charging valve and the center pin threads in and out to let nitro in, but even if you keep on charging during chuck removal you will lose most of your nitro out of the bladder as you frantically try to unscrew the center plunger,(I have since modified it myself). Makes me wonder how they charge shocks in their own shop.?So I now use a straight air chuck right off the nitro regulator, and pull the chuck off as fast as possible so you know the nitro is at the right psi.

Apr 11, 2007
I agree it must be defective. I have used just about every device in the last 18 years to charge shocks, and the air chuck method was the worst I ever used. as the bladder holds very little volume when you pull it away you usually lose at least 30 to 40 psi. I've spent 12 of those 18 years in multiline bike dealerships as a technition. I quit the motorcycle business because I was tired of listening to the Dumb @ss young motocrossers I worked with that couldn't make it out of the novice class talk smack about everyone and everything, plus all the others that wanted to be sponored (free! free! free! free! giveme! giveme! giveme!) Plus got tired of greedy owners stealing my comission! The absolute best way to charge a shock is nitrogen tank with regulator connected with a hose straight to a plungerpin chuck. First you bleed the shock bladder because some yahoo probabley filled it with compressed air (air expands when heated causing the pressure to increase). then you tighten the plunger pin chuck to the shock shrader valve with the plunger screwed in. Nexted you make sure the regulator is turned off, then you open the main valve on the tank, followed by dialing up the regulator pressure to the required spec. I then close the valve on the tank, and lossen the valve on the plunger pin. remove the plunger pin chuck from shrader valve, then you open back up the regulator that way it doesn't get worn out. Presto you are done, And very minimum amount of nitrogen wasted. Nitrogen isn't exspensive but gas in the car to go exchange the bottle is. Any nitrogen filling system with a airchuck or requiring a air chuck is kind of a joke. I am still hooked up through K&L supply company through my current job so I could buy K&L nitro filling assembley from our Yamaha special tools catalog but it is $365.00 at dealer cost and that is without a tank (it is the caddilac of systems though). What I have done is cut out all the middle men. Brand new tank already certified **** $65.00 delivered. Smith nitrogen purging regulator 0-450 psi **** $79.95 delivered. Highpressure plunger pin chuck (the hard part to find) $33.95 delivered. All that is left is the hose to connect the components purchased locally for about $40.00 plus filling the tank. So I am about $230.00 complete ready to roll. Beats paying $65.00 for a tank. $79.00 for a regulator. $50.00 for a hose and airchuck. Plus the handy dandy motionpro fill device for $169.00. You see they are charging $169.00 when all you need is really the $33.00 plunger pin coupler. What a scam. Sorry if I have offended anyone But being in the industry as long as I was I hate seeing the little guy ripped off. The only reason I even want a nitro system is to help family and friends plus a few local kids that can barely scrape up enough dough make entry fees as is.
Peace
Wayne

Top Bottom