Trick2Stroke

Mar 21, 2004
Hi everbody, I have a YZ 85 and I am looking to get some more power out of her.

Im wanting to just do the basic mods such as a pipe, filter, and reeds.I realy don't want to go into the engin yet.

So if any 1 can help with what pipe, filter, and reeds or any other performance mods plz lemme know.

I was thinking a sst/shorty combo, a twin air air filter, and some V-Force reeds..

Im fairly new to bikes so I don't know all the mods that are out there for them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx.
Blake.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
That's the ticket my friend. Just as you mentioned for am parts without going into the motor. Just remember though once you start giving the motor more air and more exhaust flow, you might (probibly will) have to do some checking and/or rejetting of the carb so that you are not too lean!! (which is bad) :eek:

Firebalsocal

Jul 20, 2003
I don't know if mxbike.com is the cheapest but he is cheap. Free shipping on anything over $100 also. Email George, the owner, and have him give you a price on what you want. He is in Bend Oregon and is a very cool guy. I live near chaparral and have been using George instead of Chaparral because of his knowledge of what works and he is usually cheaper then any bike store around here. He can get most stuff so don't worry if you don't see it on his website.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i would make sure the bike is running good, ie fresh top end, tires, chain lubed etc etc etc. then buy some jets and dial the carb in, there is more power to be had there than most bolt ons- often, aftermarket reeds, especially the vforce make matters worse jettin wise

Trick2Stroke

Mar 21, 2004
bclapham said:
i would make sure the bike is running good, ie fresh top end, tires, chain lubed etc etc etc. then buy some jets and dial the carb in, there is more power to be had there than most bolt ons- often, aftermarket reeds, especially the vforce make matters worse jettin wise

The bike only has about 20 hrs on it tops so im sure the top end is in good condition, I do need to be getting a new chain and rear tire verry soon though, and I keep everything lubed and cleaned as well....

Thx Firebalsocal, I will check out mxbike...

Thx again.
Blake.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
bclapham said:
then buy some jets and dial the carb in, there is more power to be had there than most bolt ons- often,
This is some Great advice, most people think that their bikes are jetted correctly from the factory.. Get the carb dialed in, get used too the power then get the bolt ons (pipe, reeds etc..) Do everything one at a time also, feel the difference in power, if any difference.. I think the best mod i did too my bike was having the suspension set up for me..
Rick

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Trick2Stroke said:
The bike only has about 20 hrs on it tops so im sure the top end is in good condition

i am not so sure, 20 hours is a long time on an 80cc piston- it definately needs a new ring by now!

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Try ThumperTalk they have pretty cheap prices on their stuff.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
bclapham said:
i am not so sure, 20 hours is a long time on an 80cc piston- it definately needs a new ring by now!

Kids where I live with 80s go well over 115 hours without even looking at the piston. And throughout this time, maybe cleaning the air filter maybe once or twice. Amazing how people neglect their bikes. But the suprising thing here is, a lot of their bikes still luckily as anything, run fine. But it can't hurt to check out the piston :thumb:

And I agree to adjust the jetting! Since I have adjusted the jetting on my kx125, not only has throttle response and performance been better, but I have so far went from fouling a spark plug every other ride, to so far since I have jetted, 15 days of riding and counting :yeehaw:

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Years ago my first bike was a Yamaha GT80 (air-cooled). I chuckle when I see the recommended topend rebuild intervals for this size engine. This bike probably went 1000's of hours between topend jobs and just kept running. Needless to say I rode it constanly for years growing up on the farm and in the end it just disinegrated.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
20 hrs on a 85, should at least replace the rings.. Years ago i bought a 89 yz250, 2nd ride, the piston skirt got hung up on the exhaust port.. WOuld of been alot cheaper too get the cylinder bored and honed along w/a new piston kit.. Instead, i had too buy a new crank too.. :think:
Rick

Top Bottom