b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
The cycle in question: 2003 KDX 200. FMF Pipe/silencer....open airbox lid. The rest is stock.

Pipe in w/your pros and cons. I grabbed a KX 125 front end (1995, 43MM USD forks, rim, etc.) for a rediculously cheap price. I'm basically starting at about the $70 figure. The forks need new seals plus I found some .41KG/mm fork springs that will go in w/the new seals. Everything else is very serviceable.

Here's the point of the Poll. To proceed w/the USD fork refit with 1995 USD rebuilts.... or modify the existing KDX forks...ala project JustKDX?

Riding style: I don't MX this bike at all. Just good moderate desert enduro. However I ride hard enough to not like the mushy front end (compression set 2 clicks off of max).

Thanks for the wisdom...

Gill

Last edited:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I doubt if it's wisdom, but here goes: I've done this mod with a 96 KX front end. Stock the valving and shim stack was stiff for slow speed single track riding and was awesome in faster, whooped out trails. With Race Tech gold valves, respring, and a shim stack set up for my riding, it is now plush with no mush. The only limit now is my courage. I had the race tech stuff set up by a certified race tech mechanic and it costs about 300. Not cheap but like I said, very very nice. I could never go back after experiancing this setup. Hills littered with casualties at an enduro race are now no problem because it isn't as critical to maintian any sort of line. Point it and go. The Scott's damper has something to do with that as well.
Questions to ask yourself: What parts are needed to finish this project, how much to get it up and running, how much could I get selling my old parts? And most importantly, how much am I willing to spend total.
For me, even after the race tech overhaul, I am only out about $400 after selling off my origional gear to Jeff Fredette.
If you have the KX triple clamp, the forks, front wheel, then you are there. Pressing the old stem out of your triple clamp and into the KX along with some shimming a couple of odds and ends, you will be riding. It would cost you almost nothing to try it and if you don't think you like it, go back and sell the KX stuff you got for $70 at a profit and get the KDX upgrade components.
I don't know of anyone who has done the mod that thought it was a step backwards or didn't enjoy the benefits. Just having compression AND rebound advustment is a big step in the right direction with the KX setup.

b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
Race Tech Valves

Thanks for the responses guys.

Skipro....what did the race tech valves do for you in the end? From what I can tell they add additional adjustability....did you happen to ride before/after the gold valves or was this your original setup? For moderate recreational riding do you think the expense is worth the trouble?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I rode for a few months with the stock KX fork setup. Then after my riding buddy got the race tech treatment for his forks and I could try them, I went for it. The valves allow large amounts of fork oil to travel quickly, so small, fast hits like a fire road with ruts and small rocks don't telegraph back up to you and large slow hits like whooped out trails can be ignored and hammered as fast as you dare. Final overall improvement was a very plush ride that would track straight as an arrow and no wallowing feeling. Plush with no mush.

If cost is a factor and it sounds like it is, I would recommend that you have someone help you construct a valve stack that will work for you when you change out the fork springs, seals and oil. It is very important that the shim stack is set for your type and style of riding. Most KX suspensions are set at the factory for hard MX type hits and jumps. Buy the best quality oil you can afford. It does make a difference for a relativly small price. Be sure to set your front sag correctly. Play around with various weights of oil. Set your fork ride height and play with that as well by moving the forks up and down the triple clamps. Play with the compression and rebound settings with each change. A single click can make a heck of a difference in tracking accuracy.
If all that is done and you still could do with some more improvement, then try new gold valves. They ain't cheap and not for the faint of heart to install. Drilling is required and that type of surgery requires someone with experiance in my book and for that kind of coin.
Don't be afraid to give the KX USD forks a go. You will be happy with the results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom