Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Am I the only one crazy enough to think about doing this ....

Buying an old school bus and converting it for use as the ultimate track side residence.

I rode RAGBRAI last summer and saw a bunch of creative bus conversions. Growing up in the '60s I saw a bunch more.

I'm thinking that a coil door in the rear and a ramp from an old UHaul truck and you can ride you bikes directly into the rear of the bus.

Surfing Ebay, I saw a number of good busses with less than 100K miles for the $5,000.00 range. There were quite a few that were $2,500.00 and less, although they were quite a bit older.

They are all diesel for the most part, so the engine should be good and if you get one direct from a school district the maintenance should be up to par.

What kind of driver's license would you need if the bus is an RV and doesn't carry a bunch of folks?

Am I crazy? Please refrain from delving beyond the discussion about the bus when discussing my sanity. :joke:

I can see it now ... black with DirtRider.Net down the side where the school district name was, paint childrens faces in all the windows to hide all the fun within ... :thumb:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I see them every race here. Some are really nice the majority just have a few rows of seats left in and cots thrown in for beds. The back emergeny exit is usually big enough to get the bikes in and out.
Really with a bit of work and some thought process they can be nice

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
No Tony, It's not crazy at all. You need CDL to drive a schoolbus. Someone I work with bought a gas bus and converted it for Nascar. If you are willing to put the work into it, I guess the sky is the limit. Good luck. I'm sure if you go through with it you'll be 'riding high'.

Joe Chief

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There's two of them that show up at our local races. One is owned by a local riding group that lives a fair bit north of where most of the races are so they travel down in a group of many on the bus. This bus is setup similar to what Dave mentioned with a few rows of seating, cots for beds and then in the very back portion bikes crammed in everywhere! The second one is a full blown motorhome conversion with a hitch receiver bike rack to carry the one bike. Either way they are both functional and serve the users well.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Tony Eeds said:
Am I the only one crazy enough to think about doing this ...QUOTE]

No.

And it worked quite well by the way.

http://www.dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showphoto.php?photo=1532&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

http://www.dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showphoto.php?photo=1720&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

I dont think Dad had a CDL, but back then (mid-late 70's) mebbe it wasnt nessisary?
Still remember the drive home. It was a 5 speed stick shift -w- granny gear.
Pap came up on a stop sign and decided to downshift to 1st to help get it slowed down. :joke:
Ever hear a school bus engine at about 8,000 rpm?? :laugh: :laugh:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
You don't need a CDL if you register it as an RV, a buddy of mine converted a school bus into a awesome motorhome, including putting a a 6-71 Detroit in it, full Semi rolling gear, air brakes etc. Inside has all the RV normal stuff, and alot of cool features not in normal RVs. Its registered as an RV

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Tony, just don't get the 'short' bus. LOL!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Great idea :thumb: I think if it has air brakes, you need a class b license..
Rick

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The typical mom school bus driver needs the CDL for the passenger endorsement, air brake endorsement, and occasionaly the 26001 lb and up endorsement. If you can get around these things by removing seats, buying a bus with hydraulic brakes, and derating the GVWR you should not need the CDL.

To register it as an RV it has to have a minimum of RV equipment. A sink and crapper or something like that. If you make the RV conversion than it is nicely considered a second home and eligible for some handy tax benefits.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I have that notion every time I see an old school bus or uhaul that have been stripped of their branding. If you really wanted to trick it out you could just use the chassis and completely replace the body.

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
my brothers buddy is a die hard sled guy. He is a head mechanic at a sod farm so he has access to all sorts of equipment and parts. what he did was buy an old bluebird bus and convert it to an rv. The really cool feature is how he handles the sleds. he fabricated up a hydraulic lift on the back that will raise one sled at a time to the roof. up top is what you could call a platform with 12" sides. all they do is lift the sled up and ride on. there is ample room to twist them around and ride back to the lift gate and take them down.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Well, there have been a bunch of really good ideas and comments tossed out.

I am probably a year away from undertaking this task as I know my neighbors would not appreciate me parking it in the driveway.

I passed a bunch of busses that appeared to be for sale near the Ci-Fair (sp) school building on 290 NW of Houston. I need to stop and check it out the next time I am through the area.

Thanks Y'all!!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
A cousin of mine just sent me this link to The Museum of RAGBRAI Busses

Haven't had a chance to do anything except glance at it, but it looks interesting.

Last edited:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Tony,

If you get serious about this, a good friend of mine has one for sale that you could probably get for around $1000. That's what he paid for it. It's in good shape, but I don't know the milage. I can send you pics also if your interested, just let me know.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
motohead00 said:
Tony,

If you get serious about this, a good friend of mine has one for sale that you could probably get for around $1000. That's what he paid for it. It's in good shape, but I don't know the milage. I can send you pics also if your interested, just let me know.

Mmmmm, sounds interesting. Shoot me some and email them to me, if you don't mind. No great hurry, but that sounds to good to not look at.

Now, where do I park it?!?!?!?!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
if the gvw is less than 26,000 lbs and it has hydraulic brakes you wont need a CDL.If it carries less than 15 passengers you wont need a livery(?) liscence. A school bus is only a school bus when there is school children in it.

If you where to take one of those converted van short busses,and not carry any passengers for a living it is only a conversion van in the eyes of the DMV.

Another functional idea is to buy an old ambulance or hospital van.With features like a wheel chair ramp for loading the bike and lots of tool boxes/storage compartments built in made me think hard abuot them.

Either way a lot cooler than the old "Partridge Family" bus

SuperPro

Nov 28, 2003
jmics19067 said:
if the gvw is less than 26,000 lbs and it has hydraulic brakes you wont need a CDL.If it carries less than 15 passengers you wont need a livery(?) liscence. A school bus is only a school bus when there is school children in it.

If you where to take one of those converted van short busses,and not carry any passengers for a living it is only a conversion van in the eyes of the DMV.

Another functional idea is to buy an old ambulance or hospital van.With features like a wheel chair ramp for loading the bike and lots of tool boxes/storage compartments built in made me think hard abuot them.

Either way a lot cooler than the old "Partridge Family" bus

Riding around in something people died in would be an interesting feeling...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Tony's Team Long Short Bus :joke:

Top Bottom