little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I have a 2002 KTM 300EXC. I was thinking about having my cylinder ported by Eric Gorr. I thought maybe I should ask around first to see if anybody has had their cylinder ported with the head mods done and see how they liked it compared to stock. To be honest with you, I don't even know if I'd feel a difference. Most of my riding is done on the trails, and I hardly ever reach 3rd or 4th gear, because the trails are very tight. Maybe my money would be better spent on suspension mods. Even if I don't get it ported, I'm still going to rebuild the top end, new piston kit and gaskets. What would be a good piston for the KTM, I was thinking about a Weisco Pro-Lite kit. So far I have the following on my bike: FMF Gnarly pipe, FMF Turbine Core II spark arrestor, Boyesen Pro-Series reeds, modified carb by RB Designs out of Portland Ore. Go to Canadian Dave's KDX website, and they talk alot about that carb mod there. I think it made a pretty big difference, and I'm just a rookie. Running Dumonde Tech DTP synthetic oil at 40:1. Does anybody run race gas in their KTM? And does it make a difference?
Thanks in advance Little Jeff

ktmrandy

Apr 4, 2002
I have a 300exc 2000 that was ported by Eric Gorr. I like 4 stroke power bands rather than the quick and snappy 2 stroke power and the porting brought it closer to that. The bottom end is much torquier and doesn't spin the tire as much but goes as fast in my opinion. It makes it easier to ride in a long enduro. When I start getting tired the stock 300 would bite me and send me off into the trees. The new power band is much more controllable and friendly in rocky difficult conditions.

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
I had Eric do his Mo-Better work on my 300....Replated my cylinder...overbored to a 310 and the head and porting mods.

I have to say his work was very good and I like the powerband much more than before. The bike used to have a sizeable hit in the mid...but now it just pulls hard from top to bottom.

Works great on tight New England single track....I also rarely get into 3rd or 4th.

Top Bottom