91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I was wondering if power washing my bike isn't the thing to do, although it is so easy and effortless. Does power washing it really do that much damage to seals and bearings? It makes washing my bike a whole lot quicker and easier. I was just wondering what you all did?
Ben

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
It all depends on how you do the pressure washing,I deal with machines ranging from little 1000psi electric all the way up to 10000 psi gas and diesel units at work,most people use the small units found at the local hardware stores.The washers pressure rating is found at the tip of the spray wand.If you were to take a reading directly at the tip it would read for a 1500psi unit 1500psi,if you take the reading at 2ft from the tip it would read around 200 psi or less.DO NOT PUT YOUR HAND DIRECTLY AGAINST THE TIP TO TRY THIS!!!Water injected into the skin is very dangerous and painfull. I believe most people that are having the problem with water getting into bearings and seals is because they have the tip of the wand too close to the bike,back it off and you will not have any problem.I have been pressure washing my bikes for over 15 years and have never had a bearing or seal damaged from pressure washing,the unit I use is a hot water unit putting out 1500 psi ,the key is to keep the wand backed away from the delicate areas.
Not to sound like a salesman but when or if you are looking for a pressure washer pay more attention to the gallons per minute that the machines put out then psi.A 1500psi machine putting out 5 gallons per minute is going to do a better job then a 2000 psi machine putting out 3.5 gallons per minute.In the case of pressure washers it is the volume of water that a machine puts out that does a better job.It washes away the dirt better.
Machines are usually rated in the 500 psi areas eg;1000,1500,2000 and 2500psi, if you see a machine with a 1250 or 1750 psi rating it is usually done by replacing a 1000 or 1500 psi machines tip with the next size down to increase the pressure,but you are actually decreasing the gallons per minute,watch out for this.

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
There is a downside to a higher gpm pressure washer. I had a Karcher 16hp 3500 psi washer that used 5-6 gpm. If the water supply was not sufficient gpm the washer would start cutting out. Many times this would happen and I'd turn around and look at the garden hose and it would be all flattened out because the washer sucked it dry. I wish I still had it for some jobs, it had a 6' wand and it would easily put out an 8' high pressure spray. But it took 2 people to load it in a truck. It was huge, took up as much space as a rototiller. It was vey loud.

I have an electric Karcher 1300 psi 1.5 gph now, and I'm very pleased with it. It is so much handier to use than the large gas powered one I had before. Easier to store, and it is lightweight. It has a spinning spray head on it that is supposed to increase the cleaning power by 50%. When I wash my truck the water never makes it to the gutter, because it uses so little water, it just evaporates.

When washing my bike I just try to keep the sprayhead away from the steering head and swingarm bearings.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Our pressure washer is I believe a BlackCat 1500 psi washer. Its a little electric dealy. Its really handy but my dad warned me about my bearings. I never really aimed the nozel right at the bearings, steering stem or dog bones. Mine washer has 3 attachments, a bottle for soap, A rotating nozzel and then an ajustable pressure nozzel. Its all very handy. Thank you for all of the information! Its helps a lot! I am glad to know I can keep on using my pressure washer!
Ben

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Another place to keep the tip away from...the rads.

There was a post here awhile back (years) dealing with deformed cooling fins coming from a pressure washer.

No, I have no idea if it was a BigBuck 4000psi/10gps or not.......

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Hmmmm, did not think about that.

Hopefully my lowbuck washer did not hurt my bent up sorry looking rads.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Sorry guys and gals I did not mean to point anyone in the wrong direction,the bigger machines are more for contractor type work and heavy duty cleaning,for cleaning the bikes you can generally stick to the smaller machines,the max I would use is a 1500- 2000psi 2-3gpm gas or electric machine,anything above is overkill.Alot of people use the small portable electic ones for the bikes but if you were looking for something for cleaning around the house- driveway,sidewalks or general cleaning the small gas ones seem to do a better job and they are still safe for the bike unfortunatly they are noisy as wibby said.
The little electic ones usually have a gpm rating on them too so keep a eye out for that, they are generally in the 1.2-2.3 gpm area, and these work well with the water supply of most houses.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Well the original reason we got our power washer was to clean out all of the dust, kob webs, and dirt out of our Old Barns. They all have cement floors so We would just pug it in and go. Ours works great for everything we need it for. I will be sure not to spray directly at the rad. Thanks for the info
Ben

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom