Powerband

almohammed

Dec 13, 2002
Hi...I must admit I'm new to this. I recently got a '91 KDX 200 and initially it was fine. But I recently noticed that there might be a problem with the powerband (although I don't know how it looks like or where it's located). Like, y'know how the bike's supposed to get this surge of power when you accelerate beyond a certain point before you change gears...well that doesn't happen anymore and at that point the engine starts cuttin' out like it's gaspin' for fuel or something. I'd appreciate a response on this matter. Plus, can someone tell me where I can get an owner's manual for the '91 KDX 200. Thanks. -al

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
the powerband isnt something you can "locate" its like the way the power comes on.....it sounds to me like your running lean(wheather change?) maybe go up one on the main jet? or its time for a new top end

you can get a manual from any local dealer (you'll probably have to order it)
when was the last top end? (if unknown id doit it just for the sake of knowing how many hours it has, i suggest wiseco piston)

you might want to wait for some other members to respond just to make sure im right.....

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Also, check the powervalve (KIPS) for proper operation. If the main valve is not opening properly or has too much carbon build up it will cause power problems.

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Hey Jaguar, I'm interested in this topic as well, but that link doesn't work. Any chance it needs updating?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Check your jetting/KIPS like these other folks have said. The 'powerband' is not a part on the bike, but a term for when the bike 'gets on the pipe' and starts making power. It's really just slang for a point in the power curve. If you've ever seen one graphed you'll know that it looks like a peak/valley type graph representing power output @ certain engine RPM. The 'powerband' slang term came about due to the fact that two-strokes make sharp, abrupt power when in a certain RPM range, and not much power anywhere else. Sooo, when you hit this RPM range, your in the 'powerband.' Here, I'll try to represent the whole power curve thing for ya.

__
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
_/ \___
Two-stroke 'powerband'

___
___/ \
__/ \
/ \
4 Stroke 'Powerband'

Excuse my sad attempt at some ASCII Art! :)

Hope this helps.

Jtown

Nov 26, 2001
I would check the carburetor first. If it ran fine before, you may have some trash in the carb, especially if it has set for very long since you last rode it. Also check for trash in the tank. I've had the filter in the tank get clogged up which restricted the flow of gas to the carb. This made the bike cut out while under a load. If your tank and carb are clean and you're getting plenty of fuel, then you might consider checking the power valve or your top end for low compression.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…