Pozo, Middle Coast/California Feb. 8th

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
There's a 30-mile loop there, so says a USFS map. A friend from Fresno and I will be doing it this coming Saturday; eveyone welcome. If we are up for it, we will do it again in the other direction, same day.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
JG, I'm clear for this weekend. Sounds great. Let me see if the other clowns are up for it.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
And we can do Ballinger Sunday; it's on the way back after the Sat. night slumber party at the batchelor pad...

Or we can do two days at Ballinger.

Let me know.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
...or we could do Ballinger two days in a row. Either way, you guys can spend the night at my place (hot shower, warm meals, cold brew).

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Pozo has some nice trails! Enjoy....... Be sure to checkout that rocky up hill....I think it is called 7 steps???

Rick
AMA
D-36
99 GasGas EC200

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Well, if it ain't Mr. WR - haven't heard from ya in a while: when you gonna join in? It can't be that far fer ya, cryin' out loud.

RU planning a central CA spodley event for this spring? I've never been to Elkin Flats (sp?)

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
John, I'm w/o motot transport so I'm renting a Ranger from Budget. That's dedication! In short, we're on! I'll leave RB early Sat. & crash at the bachelor pad Sat. nite. Gotta get the rental back by 4:30 Sunday, so my departure time will be dependant on that.

If you can give me the where & when, I'll meet you Sat morning. 818.216.8531

Should be great fun!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Very cool ... wish I could make it. Maybe for the Wild Boar in March ...

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
OK 'jack. That is dedication, but where you gonna stash the Budget lid? (I've looked into that too...)

We've decided to do two days at Ballinger; that way I can get to know it better (Matt has done more than I), and Pozo needs rain for traction and dust control, especially up the 7 Step (ahem! Call me "Mister") Mr. WR suggested.

Go up the I-5 past Gorman. When the 5 and 99 split, take the 5 north. A few miles later, take Hwy 133 west (left) over the freeway (this highway is like the Autobaun (sp)). Continue thru the sleepy town of Maricopa on 166 west until it goes over the pass and into the Cayama Valley. Hwy 33 intersects. Take 33 south (left, the only way.) Ballinger Canyon is on the left about 3.5 miles from the aforementioned 166/33 intersection.

I'm with the same old white T-100, same old yellow bike. Matt drives a newer GM pickup (can't remember color) and rides a KLX300.

We'll be there between 9 and 10am tomorrow morning. FWIW, it's ~ a 3-hour drive from Orange county.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Id be there except for 2 reasons-

Its my wifes weekend to play and I have the kids all weekend.

I blew a fork last weekend and I am planning to send it out for some special treatment, (as soon as I hear back from Jeremy at MX)

Have fun, looks like some rain might fall Friday night. :thumb:

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
placelast,

Yea, I'm going to see how much rain & snow we get towards the end of winter. Elkins Flat is not fun when it is dry. The fun factor is MUCH higher when there is a little snow and dampness..

I've rode Pozo several times and have had a good time. I"ve never been able to make that rocky up hill......

Pozo would be about a 5-6 hour road trip for me..

More to follow on the Elkins weekend..

Rick

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I've rode Pozo several times and have had a good time. I"ve never been able to make that rocky up hill......

Pozo would be about a 5-6 hour road trip for me..

Hmm...then maybe I shouisld do it down hill instead.

Oh, sorry: I didn't think it was that far for you; it's 115 miles for my friend from Fresno and I figured another hour at the most for you. In any event that's too far to make it worthwhile.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
You can get to Ballinger by going out Lockwood Cyn at Frazier Park instead of going all the way to 133.

The 'Steps' are on the Pine Mtn loop at Pozo and depending on the year can be a real bitch. I've seen one 4wd truck make it up - it was locked up front & rear.

Brian

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…