JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Bobby Bonds suffered a broken neck and back last night ( Anaheim round 3 ) when he went down in the triples and had another rider land on him.

Right now he is in UCI-ICU, he needs all our prayers on this one:( :ugg:

update this after I hear more

Thanks

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
That's bad.. :ugg:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Well that was heartbreaking to see, Two fractures in the neck, Three fractures in the back, broken scapula and some damage to his thoat which right now is the hardest thing he's dealing with.

He is in a lot of pain and is have a hard time breathing due to the damage to his thoat.

On the plus side ( if there is one ) there is no talk of cord damage and the doc says that all will heal.

Get Well soon, Buddy

Last edited:

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
"On the plus side ( if there is one ) there is no talk of cord damage and the doc says that all will heal. "

That is a HUGE plus!! Wounds and bones will heal, God willing, I just pray that there is not paralysis.

God be with him and his family.

Sincerley

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
They say there is no paralysis, he was pulling off his mask every couple of minutes., and you are 100% right that is a HUGE plus

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I'm sad to hear of Bobbys injuries, as he seems to be such a nice guy, and good for our sport. I am however happy to hear that he may still have use of everything once he heals! Bobby, you will be in all of our prayers!:mad:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
That's horrible! I'm relieved to hear that he'll not suffer permanent damage, though. I didn't hear anything about it on the webcast. Curious. . .

PK

Feb 27, 2000
I'm so glad to hear there is no paralysis. My wife and I saw Bobby come up a little bit short on the triple. Danny Smith was right behind him and landed on top of Bobby, ugliest crash I have ever seen. Bobby has had a rough road to get where he is at, so I know he is a fighter. We will keep him and his family in our prayers.

Thanks for the update JPIVEY.

PK

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks JP. That was a very nasty looking crash. I was wondering how he was? Didn't think it was good, took them a long time to get him off the track.:mad:

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I love to watch racing as well as ride. I have a 12 year old son who is a fair motocrosser and woods rider. He would love the opportunity to work towrds going pro. I raced for 20 years and thought that i woould like to see my son's dreams...but I have a hard time watching kid after kid get hurt on the jump filled poor designed local motocross tracks. And then I see the very technical supercross tracks with rider like Ricky, Jimmy Button, the KTM rider last year and now Bobby Bonds among thousands of others end there careers because of these tracks. Yes, I know there has to be a reason for the crowds to come but why do 100000 people show up for a GP in Europe without the huge jumps? Not trying to flame or do anything but provide food for thought?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by 94ruck
I love to watch racing as well as ride. I have a 12 year old son who is a fair motocrosser and woods rider. He would love the opportunity to work towrds going pro. I raced for 20 years and thought that i woould like to see my son's dreams...but I have a hard time watching kid after kid get hurt on the jump filled poor designed local motocross tracks. And then I see the very technical supercross tracks with rider like Ricky, Jimmy Button, the KTM rider last year and now Bobby Bonds among thousands of others end there careers because of these tracks. Yes, I know there has to be a reason for the crowds to come but why do 100000 people show up for a GP in Europe without the huge jumps? Not trying to flame or do anything but provide food for thought?
I know where you are coming from. My son is pretty good too and wanted to race. I said no and although he has given me lots of greif, he is still healthy.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Got this at RacerX:

January 21, 2002

Bonds Suffers Major Injuries

Simple Green/Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Bobby Bonds suffered a terrible first-lap crash during qualifying on Saturday night at Edison International Field. Preliminary reports say that Bonds broke his neck and back in three places, but fortunately does not have any paralysis. He also has a concussion and a broken scapula (or shoulder blade) and a problem with his larynx that is affecting his voice box. Bonds' crash brought a hush to the sold-out stadium, which watched as he lay on the track for several minutes. He was immediately assisted by Asterisk's trackside Dr. John Bodnar and rushed to a nearby hospital, where he remains. Bonds, who hails from California, was recently named the 2001 AMA Pro Racing Rookie of the Year.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Went and saw him yesterday,broke my heart to see him like that, my daughter is on her way back there right now, hopefully she'll have some good news.

94ruck,was having this same conversation with my wife this morning, Maybe someone should re-think this whole indoor sx/ax thing and get away from this WWF mindset, if they want big air go watch freestyle

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by JPIVEY
Maybe someone should re-think this whole indoor sx/ax thing and get away from this WWF mindset, if they want big air go watch freestyle

Amen to that, I am truly steering my kids away from MX as there just aren't many natural tracks around anymore. SX is just the law of averages waiting to get you. I want my kids to enjoy motorcycles, so they are going the enduro/woods way most likely.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I think they can have the big air, and be safe, if they would re-design the landing ramps. The second and third jumps in a series need to be more rounded on top to allow for mistakes. Just MHO.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Here's an update

The mask is off and they have a tube down his thoat to help with breathing.
He's awake and is more coherent than he was yesterday and is able to write his conversation out on paper.

Doctor says that he'll be out from 6-8 weeks, then go from there.

he will be back in the saddle soon

MXA, start practicing the 'ol pucker, I think you'll be kissing his A$$, that is if you can pry your lips off of.......oh never mind

Last edited:

vegli

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2001
glad to hear that he is doing better....
Could have been much worse, and we have had to many of those.

will comtinue to pray for him though.

Vern

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
The latest

Bonds had surgery last night, they found a hole in his larynx which was allowing fluid and air to build up pressure behind or to the side of his lung and was not allowing it to fully inflate.He is now breathing somewhat better,however he has more plumbing coming off him than he had Monday night.

As we walked in we were greeted with the rock and roll sign,but that was about it,he was out again. Later he woke up for a short period and ask what day it was, and when he can go riding again ( all on paper ).

oh yeah, he's also twisting the throttle whenever he can, the right wrist is the only place that dosen't have a tube in it

All things considered, he's doing pretty good

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
That was the most gnarly crash I've ever seen. I race mx, and that kind of crash is what I fear the most. God bless you Bobby!
Erik Henson(Racers Under The SON)

Top Bottom