Pre-mixed fuel sits a couple of weeks....

el_guapo

Dec 3, 2005
Is letting the bike sit with pre-mixed gas in it for a week or two bad for it? or letting the left over couple of pre-mixed gallons, sitting in the jug for a couple of weeks and than using it? as you can read, i'm new to this, any input is appreciated. :think:
thanks,
el guapo.

Last edited:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Just smell the gas before you use it, you'll know when it's bad. I can't really explain what bad gas smells like, but once you smell it, you'll never forget.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I read somewhere that certain kinds of premix will seperate from the gas over s cuple months. I think it may have been castor based typr oils, but Im not sure, is this true? (I run Klotz anyway, but Im just curious).

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Klotz Benol will, R-50 and super techniplate won't. Maxima 927 will as well. Castors only seperate if the temp is too low, like less than 40*F.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
Would it be advisable to drain the carb and fuel tank of fuel, give the carb a damn good clean and flush the whole fuel system with un-mixed petrol. When the system has been flushed through can I then start the bike for a while to 'clear out' any excess oil in the cylinder, power valve, ports etc...? Also how long should I run the bike for before I have to turn it off?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Don't let unmixed fuel anywhere near a 2-stroke motor, running or not! There is just too great a posibility of that unmixed fuel somehow making it's way into the engine, and I know you don't want that.
Drain carb, tank. Take the carb off the bike, clean it with carb cleaner. While you have the carb off the bike, check out the condition of your reeds. Put the carb back on, pour in fresh premixed fuel and start-'er-up. When I start mine up, sometimes just to smell that 2-stroke smell, I like to run it long enough to get the cyl warm to the touch.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
Ok thanks for the info, it was just a thought I had as mine has been sat not running now for quite a while. I know you should'nt run a 2-stroke with neat unmixed fuel but for a few seconds I thought it might be alright. Anyhoo, advice taken and understood ;)

Top Bottom