BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
What a year!! I don't even know if I can recall ALL the upsets, broken records, misfortunes and cliffhangers of this past season! This was one of the most interesting seasons in a long time.
Some thoughts on next year...
The biggest upset this year.. McGrath got dethroned:scream: . In Supercross, Carmichael stepped it up with training and determination so much, he surpassed everyone's expectations except his own. Jeremy is a true champion, and we all know he has one thing on his mind..to win! He knows he has to turn it way up in the off season which he appears to be doing. You know both of them are aware the other is busting there butt for next year. I think we are going to see two champions at peak fitness with unbridled passion to regain/keep the Supercross crown! It's hard to pick, but I'm going with Jeremy.
The 250 outdoors should be interesting also, with K-Dub finally finding the speed and endurance we've seen flashes of in the past.
He's so talented and smooth, and I'm sure/hope he's been paying attention to what training your tail off (Ricky) can do for your mental advantage as well as fitness! If Kevin trains his --- off this winter,I think RC is going to have his hands full next year in outdoors as well. I think it's going to be a run away heated battle all year between RC and K-Dub with the normal crew of 2nd thru 5th. It wouldn't surprise me to see Jeremy out there a lot more next year also since he will be in top shape and probably won't be racing much longer and want to mix it up outdoors one more time.

The 125 outdoor is going to be awesome.
Travis had a very unfortunate injury plagued season, he doesn't have anything to prove to anybody, but you just know he is not at all happy with the way the season went for him. I think if nothing else, he learned it takes more than mach speed to win championships. I'll bet your going to see a much smoother, faster Travis next year!
Langston...what a complete bummer to the end of his season! He knows he had the championship in the bag, only to have it slip away due to a mechanical failure..OMG! I know that's part of racing, but tell that to him right now. I think Grant will come back next year with an axe to grind and the talent to back it up.
Brown couldn't of had a more fairytale (miracle if you ask me) ending to his great season. I'm sure it will eat at him all winter hearing people say he had the thing handed to him when that is simply not true. What it took to even be in the position to be "handed" a championship is something 99.99% will never be in I guarantee that!! Congratulations to Mike! Now he knows what it is like to be a champion and what it takes, and I'm sure he wants to silence the " it was handed to him critics" next year.
Now you have to throw the new comer James Stuart in the mix. I've never seen him ride personally, but you know he's championship material with all the armature titles he's won and records he's broken. I've heard he trains like crazy so I don't think his conditioning will be a problem, but I think it will take him a full season to get and stay at the pace these guys are going to be running next year. I think Grant and Travis will be the two going at it next year with Travis coming out on top.
I have a feeling all these guys are going to be in the best shape of there lives next year and the amount of good old fashioned sweat that is going to be produced over the winter will be the deciding factor as to who walks away with the titles. I think the long awaited fitness bar has finally been raised and is back to the forefront of Motocross
We'll see come Janurary...It's going to be a long winter waiting :)

ps these are only opinions and bored rantings, we'll see if they hold water:)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I sure hope you're right about MC doing some of the nats.:)

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Here is kinda the way I see some things for next year shaping up. First Grant Langston may just be the man at everything on a 125, SX and nationals. Remeber the desire he had after crashing out of that SX win this year and how badly he crushed everyone at the next race? I see him translating that to the entire season next year. Plus he'll have a year of experience on all the outdoor tracks and so much drive. As for the Mike Brown, who I kinda like, he has to know that he had the title handed to him and it was all over for him except for a bad wheel. I don't see Mcgrath reclaiming his SX crown, sorry. RC was so dominant this year and there is no way he wants to give up his title. He's gonna be on a new bike and once again have something else to prove. James Stewart is a total wild card to me. He may be great or not. I'm sure he'll win some races but a title, maybe not, the 125 class is really deep at the moment. I see alot of people being total wild cards next year such as Tim Ferry, KW, Ezra, Ernesto, Ramsey,TP, Larroco. Man I can't wait. Whens the first SX?

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
What about Bobby Bonds? That guy was smokin in the first couple of races then after being taken out by Langston, he just kinda dropped out of contention. If he can keep that same speed from the early season for the whole thing, I think he'll turn some heads.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I thought TP was going to the 250's?

The upcoming James Bubba Stewart is going to be interesting to watch. If he's as good as everyone thinks he is, I could see him & Langston battling it out. As always, Ernie's going to be strong, but I don't know what cc he's riding next year.

My perfect scenario would be to see Bubba wipe everybody out in SX/MX, move to the 250's in a few years, and bump Ricky off the throne. I don't know how the McGrath-Carmichael war is going to go, but I wouldn't underestimate McGrath. I honestly hope he comes back and at least makes it interesting.

Where's YOGI going to be on the KX250? He seems a bit better in supercross than in MX.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Ernesto is going to Honda to ride 250 supercross and 125 outdoors I heard. To me that really leaves the door open for him to ride a 250 four stroke outdoors. If Honda doesn't have one in production by then (we'll know the 19th!) I'd almost bet that he'll be riding a proto like what Hughes did this year.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Travis needs to gain stregnth so he doesn't get thrown around by that 250. He already seems too big for the 125. I hope all these concusions come to an end this year.

250sx- Rick Carmichael. Let me be the first to call him Rick. He's a man now.
250 national- see above
125 national- Grant Langston
125west- Grant Langston
125east-James Stewart

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I like the way you see things angry jim. The only thing is I'd hang on to my 125 SX picks until we know for sure who will be on each coast.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I had no interest in the 125s' until this year, what with the 'cheater bike' controversy, Grant and Mike B. coming to the states, Travis' concussions: WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SEASON! Ricky dominating, then changing brands; Kevin coming on strong in the outdoors, Jeremy with something to prove.
Man, I think I'm gonna get my butt to Anaheim this year come January, and witness some serious fireworks!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by angry jim
Travis needs to gain stregnth so he doesn't get thrown around by that 250. He already seems too big for the 125. I hope all these concusions come to an end this year.

250sx- Rick Carmichael. Let me be the first to call him Rick. He's a man now.
250 national- see above
125 national- Grant Langston
125west- Grant Langston
125east-James Stewart

I can live with the 125 prediction. But I say 250 sx MC will be back and 250 national Pastrana. (he should be up to speed on the 250 by then and RC will be out of sync because of being beating by MC in SX)

Top Bottom