Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I have been using redline synthetic race oil at 40:1 with premium pump gas. I am very happy with it and finally have (had) both kdx's jetting dialed in.

Problem: I have heard that redline reacts with the pump gas and causes the brass in the carb to oxidize. So with that fear in mind I decided to change to Maxima super m, same ratio, same gas. The bikes run well and plug chops still look good, but, I am getting more spooge out the tail pipe.

Question: With the plug chops appearing good is it still a good idea to drop down jett size (pilot circuit). Sorry I do not remember the jetting for each bike, and I am not at home with my notes. I do know I am still richer than the tips section on just kdx. Thanks for the help and I will post my jetting when I get to my notes.
Lew

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Lew my opinion is if the plug looks good,it runs clean and strong,as long as were not talkin tons of spooge no worries.i switched to mx2t and even on hot days when perhaps running a tad rich there is a ring around the end or the silencer with a single drip trail 1 1/2" long on the bottom edge of the silencer.when temp/humidity right ,just the ring.all my signs show perfect,runs great,not sure what more i could ask.silkoline came w my bike,i used it till gone.ran sweet too but much more spooge?i never had a messy,splattering prob w either oil but i like the mx2t a lot.jmo

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Plug chops work for mains only. That's why they're WOT plug chops.

'Proper' pilot jet size will be determined by:
1. Setting of the AS (on non-modified carbs). More'n 2 turns out you need smaller one, less than 3/4 out and you need a bigger one.

2. Seat-o-the-pants testing...throttle response. No hesitation with a quick flick of your wrist in 2nd gear from a slow walking speed under load (uphill some).

While spooge is commonly a jetting issue and NOT an oil issue, I'll vouch for the fact that a previously non-spooging bike, jetted to a 'T' may well develop a drip with maxima super m.

Mine did.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
My a/s is right at 1 1/2 turns out. Plug chops are a light brown with a touch of black soot on insulator. Both bikes run great, but they both have the spooge problem now, the 200 a little worse than the 220. Still not a bad spooge prob, just a trail about 3 inches long on the 200, and even less on the 220.

canyncarvr - are you still using super m?
Lew

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom