Pro Action fork revalve report and personal update

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hello everyone - I've been basically gone from here for some time, in part because I haven't been riding this year due to:

1: a broken right wrist last year caused by forks that were bottoming too easily;

2: awful issues with my suspension that were not resolved by the first suspension shop I took the forks to.

In the spring I had a bad experience with a suspension shop on a rebuild, revalve, lowering. The situation involved numerous communication, customer service and other problems which turned into a 4+ month fiasco which essentially kept me off the bike until I filed suit against the shop (after warning the shop's owner repeatedly) to encourage the shop's owner to settle the matter - and he did.

Anyway, when I received my forks back from the first shop, my forks were still excessively soft and bottoming. The bike was lowered, and thus easier for me to turn at 5'4" - and there did seem to be some improvement in the bike's tracking through the whoops. Nevertheless, my wrist is still weak and gets sore easily, so I had to have the bottoming issue resolved. I took the forks to a local Pro Action rep (Kevin Cogar in Barboursville, WV) for a second revalve.

I finally got everything back and re-assembled and got my first real track time last week at a practice. The forks are an epiphany!

Very plush in the slow stuff, but they progressively stiffen and do not bottom over the biggest stuff I jump (which is not very big, but that's beside the point because they were bottoming on those jumps - even after the first revalve).

Further, the best thing about the forks now is the tracking in the corners - it's amazing! Even though the track conditions were slippery - wet on top of VERY hard pack - the bike tracked through the corners like an 85 rather than a 125. The primary problem I was having with the conditions was the rear wheel sliding out - not the front. My brother was very impressed, as well.

In spite of missing pretty much the whole season over all of this, I am finally very happy that I had the forks revalved. I'd definitely go to Pro Action again and I plan to take my shock to them this winter for a second revalve.

Unfortunately, after a year and a half, my wrist is still giving me issues that may keep me from racing competitively next year. :bang:

bkgobe

Aug 18, 2004
Little off topic ,
Did you ever try the 661 wrist support that gives you the choice of using 1 or 2 support "discs"? I have a bad wrist and without it I don't think I could ride. If I remember correctly they are only about 35.00. Good luck

Top Bottom