Pro Circuit Silencer/Spark Arrestor Question

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Does anyone have a PC Spark arrestor? I bought one last week, but when I installed it there were some problems. While I could get the S/A mounting holes to line up with the frame bolt holes, the rear-most S/A hole has about a ½ inch gap between the frame and the S/A mounting tab (front tab is flush against the frame). Seems like it would need a really thick spacer or a stack of washers to work. What I want to know is whether:

1) They fit like this (crappy), or perhaps mine is some kind of fluke? – as if the mounting tab was not welded on correctly.

2) There was any kind of mounting hardware that I should have gotten.

Thanks.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Can't really provide an answer regarding your PC alignment problems, but I did have a chance to corner an FMF guy recently about all the complaints I see on this forum about problems with their pipe's fit and alignment.

His response was that they use jigs/fixtures to check alignment quality, and there are times when the check fixture is "bumped" or "dropped", and the right people aren't notified / aware of it until after a bunch have been shipped out.

I know, it's a lame excuse for quality control, and I can't imagine that this problem would be commonplace in the aftermarket pipe business. Hopefully PC and FMF monitor these forums, and start putting better quality controls in place.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Is it a used bike? Or have you augered in pretty well? If so you could have yanked your sub frame.

Phillip

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by IrishEKU
Is it a used bike? Or have you augered in pretty well? If so you could have yanked your sub frame.

Phillip

No frame problems and the stock spark arrestor fits ok, as does the FMF power core silencer I've been using.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
If you cannot find any problems, go to an autoparts store. Look in like their Dorman drawers. There should be some brass fittings, clutch pilot bushings and some spacers in there. You should be able to find a spacer to work.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The answer is obvious. Repeatedly so, unfortunately.

FmF doesn't fit for diddle. No 'augering' required for sure.

re: hardware with the S/A?

Yes. You were supposed to recieve a bag of grommets, bolts and washers. From what I've heard, they are missing more often than not. Last one I took out of the factory packaging didn't have it.

AND...more often than not, the best result is to take a trip to the hardware store to get what works vs: hassling with FmF about it. They don't seem too keen on the customer service side of things.

That's been my experience with: Holes in the welds of a brand new pipe..and rust on another brand new pipe.

Their 'customer service' response?

Get it fixed yourself.

Alrighty then..........

BTW..I've sent FmF tech support links to threads of this type more than a few times. Not for the purpose of smiting them about the head and shoulders, but hoping they will GET A CLUE!!

Knock...ow! Knock...Ow!! Knock...OW!!! (sound of my head on brick wall) :(

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
CC, while all the stuff about FMF is unfortunately true, my new spark arrestor is made by Pro Circuit, not FMF. One of the reasons I went with PC was my (perhaps mistaken) perception that their QC was better. I don’t know if bushings are supposed to be supplied ala the FMF, but the size of the mounting hole indicates maybe not.

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
I had the same problem. When I put the PC spark arrestor on my FMF KG30 pipe, the PC was riding too low. I bridged the gap with a piece of flat bar. It only took a few minutes. By keeping the spark arrestor lower, I have room for my hand to fit between the spark arrestor and the rear fender.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes...my comments were completely unrelated to the original post. My apologies.

I have both. A PC and an FmF. My PC fit first time without a hitch. No spacers, grommets, hardware required.

It doesn't take much of a munch to tweak your pipe. I've taken the S/A off when it seemed to fit fine, but putting it back on it didn't fit for diddle. Same unit! Enough 'give' and move in the pipe by just taking the S/A off to make it difficult to put back on.

That may explain how the oem fit fine in the offing process and the PC didn't.

Still...the FmF is a complete mess! for fit.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom