stinx

Jul 25, 2000
Has anyone mounted pro taper type bars on there KDX? What was involved? did you have to buy a new tripple clamp? or did you use the universal mounting kit? What did you need to mount bark Busters on these type bars?

TOFAS4YOU

Jan 4, 2002
GET A MOUNT KIT FROM PRO-TAPER FOR THE TRIPLE CLAMP AND I SUGGEST TO BUY THE MOOSE CLAMPS FOR THE BARK BUSTER THEY HAVE BETTER DESIGN BY USING 4 BOLTS INSTEAD OF A WIMPY PINCH BOLT THEY WORK GREAT BUT FOR THE WOODS I CUT MY DOWN TO 28 INCHES YOU CAN CUT ONE EAR OFF THE ODOMETER TO GET IT TO FIT IN THE TOP CLAMP IF YOU NEED MORE LET ME KNOW

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Stinx,

I purchased the pro tapers and the universal mount kit. I hated the mount kit. It raised the bars too high and made the whole bar unit feel spongy. So, I took the mount kit back and purchased a new billet top triple clamp from BRP. The new t-clamp allowed me to move my bars more forward and keep the ergonomics as far as height was concerned. I cant tell you how much the new set-up improved my riding. Maybe it was just the mental thought of quality parts on the beast that made me feel like I was riding better. But more than likely it was a combination of that and how I was more forward on the bike and that gave me more control in turns and braking.

I personallly would not use the universal mount kit for oversized bars. Its a cheap and quick fix that may hinder your riding in the end. But then again a new t-clamp will hinder your wallet. Its 157.00 US, but worth it to me.
BRP's site http://www.brpit.com/

They even make rubber mounted bar clamps for their t-clamps if you like the feel of the ones on your stock t-clamp. Maybe the will sell you oversized bar clamps that fit right into your stock t-clamp if you dont want to spend the cash.

B.

Last edited:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You shouldn't use the universal mounting kit with rubber mounted bar clamps.

There is no need to order an expensive triple clamp either. A number of companies make rubber mounted Pro-Taper bar clamps for KXs and they will fit right on your KDX. I used an Applied Racing bar clamp that raised the bars up 1.0mm and forward more than stock. there are lots of other companies that sell rubber mounted over sized bar clamps for KXs as well. They worked great.

David

Top Bottom