problems after replacing for seals

Wanabe

Feb 6, 2001
problems after replacing fork seals

I replaced my fork seals on my 97 YZ250 over spring break and wnet riding the next day and they were VERY stiff at the very begining of the stroke. when I took them apart the metal ring with the teflon coating on it(bushing?) got some of the coating peeled off. I didn't have a new one and wanted ot go riding so I thought it owuld be okay and left it. when I had them partly back together the inner tube on one side would just fall out on it's own and the other wouldn't extend on it's own without shaking it first. I didn't think it was sticking enough to make a difference. Also when I put the caps back on there was a nut that kept moving up when I tried to tighten down the clams and the manuel said that the nut is supposed to be 19mm from the top of the rod. could that have caused problems?

The local shop wants $100 just for bushings and seals and I don't have that much. I only saw one bushing on the top of the inner tube they said there is two, were is the other one? can the bushings be repalced without getting new seals? or could there be something else like binding in the clams? I just didn't think the bushing being mesed up a little would cause it to be so stiff.

sorry for all the questions I just haven't been riding for 6 weeks and want to be able to fix this as fast as possible and get back out there.

thanks Eric

Last edited:

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
You say you wanna go riding "real quick", huh?

Well, sounds like your going to have to open up the ol' wallet and send those forks off to someone who knows what they're doing before that can happen....

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Wanabe,
Take Whipits advice.. I think your level of understanding is below the limit required to workk on your suspension...

But if you must look at my rebuild instructions they might help you out.. Your forks are bound up beacuse they are diferent lengths and your busshings are thrashed..

Regards,
Jer

Wanabe

Feb 6, 2001
well I thought I understood it good enough but maybe not. I didn't have much problem replacing the fork seals and I new the bushings wern't in real good shape but I left them anyways, which may have not been a good choice.

My main problem is the jam nut at the top of the rod. the manuel says to have the nut down 19mm from the top. Is that just untill you tighten it to the cap? your web sight says something similer. It says to tighten the nut against the spring guid then to tighten it against the fork cap. it didn't really understand that.
thanks for the help I would really like to learn to do this stuff myself
Eric

YZmoto

Apr 29, 2001
The manuals say have the nut 19mm or more down from the top of the rod. This is so that the fork cap can be hand tightened all the way onto the rod without being stopped by the nut. Then once the fork cap is down, you tighten up the locknut to the fork cap and torque to the manuals specs.

Top Bottom