Apr 13, 2009
just bought a new clutch for my cr250, soaked the rings in amsoil synthetic, put them on in the right order, put on new stiffer springs, put the crank cover back on, tightened all the bolts, put fresh oil in it, kicked it oil went to shift and it would stall, like no clutch was engaging

HELP ME PLEASE!

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
did you tighten down the bolts for the springs all the way? and like said before re adjust your cable?

Apr 13, 2009
how much are the discs suppose to move? when the clutch is pulled in the discs move out a little, is that enough? or am i gonna have to pour oil in and try?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Did you make sure you put the little ball bearing back in when assembling it? I think you should have one in there

Also make sure your pressure plate is installed correctly

Apr 13, 2009
yes the bearing is still in, and before i took the plate off i marked it, and i lined the marks back up, when the clutch is pulled in the plate gets pushed out, then i put it in gear and tried to spin the rear tire but it still wouldn't spin freely, when the clucth was pulled in.

Apr 13, 2009
Or could it be that when i tried to shift after i put it all back together that the engine/oil wasn't warmed up enough? brand new clutch has quite a bit of "meat" on it, i bought a higher performance one. could that possibly be the problem? oil not warmed up enough? i hope?

any info, i appreciate

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
yeah.
my yz125 have a clutch kit and, its the same too
If the engine is not running and cold, i put it in gear and pull the clutch, it is like it wont disengage too.
But with the bike hot and running with oil, the clutch work fine.

The clutch can need some break-in because its new, i dont know.

mnmlundsten

Mar 30, 2009
I have 3 RM250's and one I almost never ride. It sat for about 6 months and I fired it up and it was doing the same thing. I let it run for about 10 minutes and still the same thing. I decided to ride it around, and I held the clutch in while I was doing it. It was like it was locked up and wouldn't slip at all. After about 5 minutes (and 10 warming up) all of a sudden it started working. I don't let it sit for more than a week or so without starting it now. Clutch plates need to soak in oil/atf for AT LEAST 30 minutes before installation and will not work right until they are saturated with oil/atf.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
you put the big washer between the basket and the inner hub right? there should be another where the bolt is to.

-mike.

agf racing

Apr 28, 2009
What was it doing before you replaced it? A worn basket can cause the plates to stick and drag. For a sticky clutch that has been sitting for awhile try riding around 15 mph Pull the clutch in and apply the rear brake (skid) at the same time. Works every time.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I've had the same problem after installing new OEM clutch plates ... bike just stalls at when putting it in gear. Probably, the "soaked in oil" plates made the stack a bit taller/thicker and/or maybe the thick oil film was causing the plates to stick.

Anyway, all it needed was a 1 minute ride to get things settled (excess oil to spin off from between the plates) and it worked just fine. You may feel some improvement in the garage after you've stalled it a few times.

This is assuming that you've installed stock clutch plates. Aftermarket plates are sometimes just a bit thicker than they should be, causing headaches that can't easily be resolved (stalling, grabbing, etc.)

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
hey mate, sounds to me like your gear oil is too thick, when you have ger oil that is too thick your cutch plates stick together, when you give the bike a rev as you let the clutch out it can free the plates.

once the bike has been running for a bit the oil thins out and sould seem fine.

if it does change to a thinner oil.

i always use a thin oil for a few rides with a new clutch

hope this helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom