Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
Hey, i recently bought a suzuki 250 ('87).
2nd day we filled transmisson oil to about 90% full. After we did so, the oil started dripping throught the pipe and coming out the silencer causing extra smoke and noise. This was not the case the day before.

The air filter is really bad and old so were gonna replace it. Would that be the culprit?

I also read that this sometimes happends when the engine gaskets go bad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreiciated!

Brad

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Ruff, I believe that the transmission should be filled with 750 Mil. of Oil, if thats 90% then your ok.

as for oil dripping out of your silencer could that be spooge? normal for most 2 strokes to have some oil coming from the end of the pipe especially if your running the bike on the rich side.

More information on the amount of oil you have dripping out would be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Rich

gunslinger45

Mar 5, 2004
I've got an 88 rm250 and I would say its also a bit on the spoogy side. The bike runs great so I don't suspect any mechanical problems. What gas/oil ratio are you running? I run 32:1 (now changing to 42:1) and I too get some gook coming out. But on these old bikes, I don't know that it signifies anything significantly wrong. You could try changing out the exhaust gasket on the cylinder, and double check that your exhaust pipe springs are good and tight as well. Overall, how does the bike run? The transmission oil is not the likely source. You would have to have a very blown crank seal and a very well worn piston and ring to have it coming out the exhaust. The bike would not be running well at all. The bad air filter will not cause this either. If the bike is truly "over spooging" then its either because its jetted too rich, or your premix ratio has too much oil in it. Its a 20 year old two stroke, they're not known for being overtly clean and tidy. Its funny how I got attached to mine though......

Trev

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
For the spooge your getting coming out the silencer, try new packing and try a different 2 stroke oil to use for your pre mix. I had a horrible problem with spooge when using regular suzuki 2 cycle oil in my pre-mix for my 96 rm250 then change to Mobile MX2T with a 40:1 ratio and it cleared everything up, look for a good synthetic 2 cycle oil, there are many posts in this forum on what people prefer. Also check your jetting and make sure your not to high on the pilot causing your bike to run to rich. My guess you should be running somewhere in the 55 pilot range for your jet, but i am not possitive.

Top Bottom