holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I'm a piping materials engineer - petrochem.

Base salary 135 K (60.90 hr) + bonuses and 1.5 overtime. I know .... my salary is pretty puny (no raise for the past 2 years), but I put up with it because of the bennies (5 weeks vacation, decent health plan, employer matching 401 k, 30 mintutes drive).

So why am I going into so much detail when it's not called for? Because my job of 16 years is about to come to an end. I've been put on 60 days furlough and at the end of that, my job will most likely will be gone (terminated). It's my last chance to brag about what I do ..... because soon .. I won't be doin' nuttin'. :whoa:

I've been reflecting on how I've had the same job since I've started back into dirt biking in 1996. People say, "now you'll have lots of time to ride". Uh uh .... I don't feel like riding without a livelihood. And unemployment insurance is really, really puny.

What next?

-retire to a 3rd world country (probably could)
-start my own businines (but what?)
-find a job in the middle east
-find a job in canada (maybe it's not much better there)

I'm not in any financial difficulty (because I've driven beat-up econo boxes and didn't spend much on toys)

With my luck, I won't be fired :)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Holeshot - sorry to hear about the possible job loss. Nothing puny about your current arrangement, IMO. That gig will be hard to give up.

I am a commecial real estate appraiser in Bakersfield.

Was self employed for years. No bennies at all, lol. Still self employed, but entered into a new partnership January of this year.

Things are going very well so far with the new business.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
holeshot said:

you design em we probably make some of them. recently been pouring return bends for offshore rigs and a newfangled design drill heads.

Last edited:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
MrLuckey said:
Hey just figured I'd see if anyone wants to share what they do for a living in the SoCal area. I am a process controls engineer, PLC's DCS etc.

I thought you were a Fire Marshall?

Ron -Sorry to hear about the job situation. I think you should go into the bar business. Re-open Charlies place at Wagon Wheel. :cool:

Me....I'm the Operations Manager for Advanced Discovery.

http://www.advanceddiscovery.com/

We do traditional litigation supports services along with data collection & processing, forensic analysis, web hosting & review, document culling, ORC, ESI consulting and a bunch of other techinal stuff.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Anybody know if there are any rich, single women around? :clue:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
Sure do, but they are all nymphomaniacs.

I also find that such women are 10+ years older than me - scratch that plan .....

:whoa:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Holeshot- Good luck with the future.

MrLuckey- Which company do you work for? My head maintenance guy is leaving in 2 months. I might be on the lookout for a new guy if know of anyone. Heavy presses, roll formers and process lines.

I'm the operations/plant manager for a steel manufacturing company. We make expanded metal, fabricated bar grating and all the galvanized steel under stucco. Two years ago I had about 85 people at our facility. Today I am down too almost half.

http://www.amicoonline.com/

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
holeshot said:

Base salary 135 K (60.90 hr) + bonuses and 1.5 overtime. I know .... my salary is pretty puny (no raise for the past 2 years), but I put up with it because of the bennies (5 weeks vacation, decent health plan, employer matching 401 k, 30 mintutes drive).

Sorry to hear about the job loss.

However, it's unbelievable to me how much income varies from area to area. Puny salary? Around here you'd be in the top 1% of wage earners.

Here in depressed SE Ohio, I work as an attorney. Assistant prosecutors and public defenders here make $40,000 per year. My 3rd year I made $39,000 as a private attorney (and that was more than my boss took out of the office ... of course he's also a part time small claims judge and makes $62,500 doing that).

Last year was better for me - $65,000 -and I'm pretty sure that's more than the couple other young attorneys in the area made. Of the 60+ attorneys in the tri-county area (only 13 in my county - but we only have 13,000 people in the county), I think the only ones making $100,000+ are the full time judges ($105,000) and those with 20+ years experience with a bank on retainer (bank=lots of real estate work for attorneys). Most experienced attorneys in the area are in the $50,000 to $80,000 range.

On the blue collar side, Dad is about to retire as an "A" welder/machinist from the local power plant with 31 years at the plant. He recently got a raise to $30.00/hr.

Then again, to offest the low salaries, you have this:

2.5 yrs ago I bought a 2200 square foot 3 BR, 1.5 BA, 2 story house in good condition on a small lot with study, cellar, appliances, fixtures and a 15x15 concrete floor outbuilding with attic for $68,000 and local taxes are quite low.

Dad bought his 3BR, 2BA house about 15 years ago - very nice 1500 square foot in the main house area with additional unfinished half basement, two large porches, 1.5 car garage and large double lot (1/2 acre) for $55,000.

And, there are lots of places to ride woods which are technically "illegal" but no one does anything to stop you - and there are 4 MX tracks - 3 of which have woods/GP riding/racing within 45 minutes of me.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
JWW said:
I'm the operations/plant manager for a steel manufacturing company. We make expanded metal, fabricated bar grating and all the galvanized steel under stucco.

http://www.amicoonline.com/

wow thats funny, i just repaired a set of steps yesterday with some of your bar grating possibly and next month i will be ordering some perforated metal to rebuild our sand shaker. i usually order from contractors steel. what location are you at and hows your shipping costs to MI? I will also be needing a pile of diamond plate in the near future.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
robwbright said:
Sorry to hear about the job loss.

However, it's unbelievable to me how much income varies from area to area. Puny salary? Around here you'd be in the top 1% of wage earners.

Here in depressed SE Ohio, I work as an attorney. Assistant prosecutors and public defenders here make $40,000 per year. My 3rd year I made $39,000 as a private attorney (and that was more than my boss took out of the office ... of course he's also a part time small claims judge and makes $62,500 doing that).

Last year was better for me - $65,000 -and I'm pretty sure that's more than the couple other young attorneys in the area made. Of the 60+ attorneys in the tri-county area (only 13 in my county - but we only have 13,000 people in the county), I think the only ones making $100,000+ are the full time judges ($105,000) and those with 20+ years experience with a bank on retainer (bank=lots of real estate work for attorneys). Most experienced attorneys in the area are in the $50,000 to $80,000 range.

On the blue collar side, Dad is about to retire as an "A" welder/machinist from the local power plant with 31 years at the plant. He recently got a raise to $30.00/hr.

Then again, to offest the low salaries, you have this:

2.5 yrs ago I bought a 2200 square foot 3 BR, 1.5 BA, 2 story house in good condition on a small lot with study, cellar, appliances, fixtures and a 15x15 concrete floor outbuilding with attic for $68,000 and local taxes are quite low.

Dad bought his 3BR, 2BA house about 15 years ago - very nice 1500 square foot in the main house area with additional unfinished half basement, two large porches
, 1.5 car garage and large double lot (1/2 acre) for $55,000.

And, there are lots of places to ride woods which are technically "illegal" but no one does anything to stop you - and there are 4 MX tracks - 3 of which have woods/GP riding/racing within 45 minutes of me.

That's cheap. I just bought a 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage, 1500 sqft house on a 8400 sqft lot built in 1969 for $430K. House is in good shape just needs updating. So far I put another 15k into it and I'm still not done.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
ellandoh said:
wow thats funny, i just repaired a set of steps yesterday with some of your bar grating possibly and next month i will be ordering some perforated metal to rebuild our sand shaker. i usually order from contractors steel. what location are you at and hows your shipping costs to MI? I will also be needing a pile of diamond plate in the near future.

Im at the Fontana location. Unfortunately we dont sell direct to the end user. Not sure if contractors steel is one of our account. If it is, its most likely serviced through our Chicago plant.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Bummer to hear that Ron,
hope things workout.

For Me,
I'm a Managing Partner of a Litigation Support Company. www.e-docuplus.com

Ditto to Thumbs "what we do" description :) Thumbs and I used to work together and the same company before they were sold.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I run a strip club and restaraunt down near the Port of Long Beach called Steaks n Skanks. Business is pretty slow, I'm down to 2 girls Bubbles and Slippery.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
kelsorat said:
I run a strip club and restaraunt down near the Port of Long Beach called Steaks n Skanks. Business is pretty slow, I'm down to 2 girls Bubbles and Slippery.

I thought Bubbles was the cook.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I have been thinking alot about this, and I feel strongly that we need to create a new So Cal Wrecking Crew sub-forum called "Holeshot's Total Compensation Package". :p

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Thank you, thank you Eelywho, but I think that may not be necessary, because I have a couple of things in the works.

I've been cut off from everything at work except my last paystubs. Paper paystubs were eliminated years ago - all paystubs are accessed online at https://paystatements.adp.com anywhere with an internet connection. Handy when you need to check remaining vacation. Too bad those stubs ended 6 weeks ago.

Again, thank you for your compassion - the SoCal wrecking Crew is such a warm and thoughtful community.

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Sorry to hear it, Holeshot. It sounded like maybe the job was going to continue, based on your email about it ... I meant no disrespect, just trying to find some humor in an otherwise tough situation. I didn't mean to piss you off ..

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
I'm an airline pilot. Tough times in this biddness, too. Haven't been riding for the past 5 years, but looking to get back in. Lots of great deals out there on bikes.

Top Bottom