Progressive Insurance

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I called Progressive today to update my insurance; to add the 06yz450f and to drop the 01 yz250f. I had worked in the insurance industry for almost 7 years and decided when I bought the 01 to insure the bike, $5500 then. The policy then was around the low $100's, had a bad accident in 02, received a 51% rate increase, paid the most of $207 for one year, 04 rate dropped to $112, 05 rate to $86. Great coverage, comp, collision, liab, + up to $1000 in ugrade parts. Since the bike is newer, and a 450, I did expect it to go back up to $200, even $350 would be bearable for the 7G bike.WRONG. $1100! I have a clean record and my last accident has been removed. They say it falls into the "high performance", which I cant argue with. But they are and have been insuring my 250F, which is the same high performance bike for 900% less! And they will still insure the 01 for that amount, no rate change. I asked her to rate me for a 2006 600cc street bike, like a ninja or R6, the quote is $658. A ZX or a bike in the 1000cc would be $1078.I couldnt believe it myself, even if their was a rate industry change they will still insure my 250f much less. I tried to explain to her that the 250 and 450 difference is like a 4cylinder to a 6 cylinder vehicle of the same model. Oh well, maybe I am crazy, but not crazy enough to pay that kind of money to insure the dirt bike. The lady asked if I was sure that I didnt want to insure her, I said I would rather walk out an open window upstairs. I was also gonna ask them to write a scheduled policy for my 50 since it has lots of mods. I will have to call around for some rates elsewhere to see if they have all gone up or what.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
Are you crazy!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you insure a dirtbike?!!! IT"S A DIRTBIKE!!!!!!!! Its going to face the most extreme types conditions and guess what, its going to be crashed or damged one time or another. A dirtbike is an expendible tool in the quest for ones enjoyment. It's actually hard for me to even imagine that an insurance company would take the risk of insuring a "for competion use only" model dirtbike in the first place.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Yeah Bleeds. When bikes cost $7000, I insured it when it cost a $100 a year. Stolen at the house, at the track, or if you were carjacked, the bike is covered. I understand that the bike is going to be damaged one way or the other while riding it.
I didnt want the collision or liability, it comes with the bike when you opt for comprehensive for theft, thru Progressive that is.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
jumpingjoe628 said:
Are you crazy!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you insure a dirtbike?!!! IT"S A DIRTBIKE!!!!!!!! Its going to face the most extreme types conditions and guess what, its going to be crashed or damged one time or another. A dirtbike is an expendible tool in the quest for ones enjoyment. It's actually hard for me to even imagine that an insurance company would take the risk of insuring a "for competion use only" model dirtbike in the first place.

zcook - man, that sucks. We have a WR250f, YZ250 and a TTR with Prog. and our bills is still way low. Something seems amiss here. Hope you can find reasonable coverage.

My main reason for insurance is theft/fire/vandalism, since homeowners policies may not cover anything that happens to your bike in the garage, or anywhere else, for that matter.

jumpingjoe - another big reason for carrying insurance .... what do you do if some guy t-bones you and totals out your bike? Ask him to pay? Good luck with that. My buddy had a head on crash with a quad on a blind curve, and sustained nearly $2400 in damages to a bike that was worth less that amount. Who pays for it? The park this happened in is a "ride at your own risk" type place. That equals "no fault" when it comes to reporting the accident. Had it not been for insurance, he would have had to repair his bike out of his pocket.

Am I crazy? No just smart enough to make sure I cover my bikes.

"Expendible tool" are YOU crazy? I shell out some big cash for those 'tools" and not a one of them is expendible, in my opinion. They are just as valuable to me, as is the truck I haul them with, and I sure as heck don't drive that around without any insurance. Now, maybe you have the kind of cash flow where you can just wad up a $7K machine and toss it out back when you smash it up, but, I'm willing to bet that those of us that carry insurance on our bikes do NOT have that kind of luxury!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
jumpingjoe628 said:
Are you crazy!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you insure a dirtbike?!!! IT"S A DIRTBIKE!!!!!!!!
cuz I'm gonna slap a plate and some trials tires on it and ride it to work.

I love Idaho. :)

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
First of all a truck is a form of legal transportation on public roads and a YZF 450 is a competition race bike. Thats why they consider it a "no fault "riding area, because they don't want to pay for any damages that WILL occur. You have to be carefull where you ride and how you ride. I've avoided lots of no brainer crashes by just being smart. If I got T-boned anywhere while riding even if it was on purpose I am fully aware of what I am doing is an EXTRACULICULAR activity that poses a threat to my body and vehicle at any moment and I am fully responsible to pay for my own damages. People do what they want by getting their own insurance but I just don't beleive in it. I don't like the fact that a person depends on an outside entity to pay for his mistakes. The insurance companies would make a killing on me then because I have never wrecked a bike bad enougfh to say that I can't afford to fix it or have the damages cost more than the bike itself.
As far as expendible, yes it is, it's just a dirtbike, not a car that gets you to work, not a house that you live in just a dirtbike. It's someting that you do not need in life and when people start taking it so seriously that they have to get insurance on it then they are just going overboard.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
There are other factors to the insurance, my good man. One is "liability". You T-bone someone and break their leg and you get sued. Your insurance covers YOUR ass.

But you keep on not wasting your money. You're obviously the smartest guy on DRN

B

biglou

One word: "Theft"

Several more words: For me, $48 a year for comp/collision. In other words, someone steals it, it falls out of my truck, tree falls on it, whatever, it's covered. Beats dropping $5-6k again out of my pocket. I spend $48 (sometimes more) for a can of race gas.

A couple more words: If you think your homeowner's insurance covers your bike, even when it's chained up in your garage, think again... Don't believe it? Call your agent.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
jumpingjoe628 said:
As far as expendible, yes it is, it's just a dirtbike, not a car that gets you to work, not a house that you live in just a dirtbike. It's someting that you do not need in life and when people start taking it so seriously that they have to get insurance on it then they are just going overboard.

And people who become highly offensive in a thread where people are just voicing what they like and they believe in isn't going overboard?

You're right, no one NEEDS a dirtbike. There are a lot of things in life we don't NEED, but we have them anyway.

You mean to tell me that if your bike got stolen and you had to go drop another $5-$6k on a new one, you wouldn't be in the least bit upset about this? Rather than spend $100 a year on insurance? I find that hard to believe...but to each his own. :fft:

jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
jumpingjoe628 said:
I don't like the fact that a person depends on an outside entity to pay for his mistakes.

So, it would seem that if you were to have an accident while riding your dirt bike and you broke or dislocated something on your body, you wouldn't use your health insurance to help pay for the medical treatment you receive?

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
You're right Big Lou, Homeowners insurance will Not cover your bike even if stolen in your own garage.
I called one of my other friends who I used to work with at Allstate back in the day, he pays $160 for his 2004 CRF450R as well a year...
Jumping Joe, I know and understand that I dont NEED a dirt bike, and I understand that it is just a DIRTBIKE, but the sticker price is $7099 and to me, I would rather pay $100 or so a year for piece of mind for any of things that could happen to it like what the others in the thread have mentioned.
My point of the thread is that something is amiss with the company right now. I see progressive advertising in the AMA magazine, at speed track races and such. I thought they were being competitive but either they are making a mistake on my rating or something. They still are insuring my YZ250F for $86 a year, full coverage.

B

biglou

I wonder if they think its the new yellow R6 since it's yellow?! That sounds more in line with the price they want to charge! I was quoted about $850/year for an FZ6, I think, last summer. $1100 or so for the R6.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Guys, I remember playign with the progressive online quote system. The price rarely changed. It never woudl drop much below 80.00 per year regardless of what ampounts were filled in ....

If a person were to choose a 100 deductable, mash a radiator and bend a set of pro tapers , would have success in progressive covering it? Dirtbikes only.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
Ya know what, forget about it guys. I just want to say that I'm sorry for giving my opinion because it seems that everyone from now on is going to have something negative to say about my reply and it's not worth it to me to be in such a dispute over whether or not "dirtbike insurance" is necessary or not, when the original topic was why the rates when up for some poor soul.

bordrshane

Dec 13, 2005
I know people who have abused their insurance. I find that if you are to insure your bike, it should be for theft, or shall I say, unbelieveable circumstances only. Because you break your frame or bend your forks over a big double, dont claim insurance. Repairs and maintenance come with the territory. You are only just jacking up rates for others. Now if your bike gets stolen, or explodes into flames, or.........gets ran over by a cement truck, claim it.
And yes, most homeowners insurance doesnt cover stollen bikes. They didnt cover my crf50. What they did cover was................jet ski trailers. :coocoo:

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
Insurance business is a strange thing. Home owners insurance will protect bicycles and lawn mowers but not dirt bikes. Auto insurance (and sometimes home owners) will cover a trailer being towed by a car but not the dirt bike attached to it. However, if you carried a bicycle or lawn mower there is no issues. Unfortunately, they realized that dirt bikes and atv's are a huge market. So we have to carry separate insurance. I'm with everyone else on this thread and pay some $$ for bike insurance. I do it for theft/fire protection regardless where it is located and for the liability insurance. This is an important thing because all it takes is one accident with the "wrong" person... I do not want to get sued for millions and loose everything that I own (house, car, bikes, etc.).

B

biglou

I think I heard somewhere, in a nutshell, if something can/does/should have its own title, it's not covered under another policy like homeowner's or automobile. And there a A LOT of people out there who are under this misconception. It's been covered here on DRN many times over. Unfortunately, usually after someone has lost a bike(s).

And yes, like I said above, "Theft". That's the main reason right there for me. I'd never claim for a get-off, that's all part of the expendables to me, but total loss due to theft, falling off trailer, house burning down onto it, etc., you bet I'd file a claim!

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Zcookie49 Check out State Farm. I used to keep my bikes in an enclosed trailer for awhile and it was broken into about a year ago. Luckily they broke into a side door so they didnt attempt to get the bikes out but the did steal all of my gear, parts, and even my oils/chemicals. Ridiculous thieves. Total was about 3000 worth of equipement, gear and parts. Anyway I had insurance to cover my personal property but it wasnt enough coverage to cover the bikes as well. After this episode it scared me pretty good to think I could have been out two bikes as well and would have been stuck forking out over 10 grand to replace them both because some jackass thought it would be OK to violate me and steal my hard earned stuff. So to make a long story short, I went out looking for bike insurance. I had the same issue when it came to progressive for my 03 KX 250. They wanted $1100/year. I called state farm and they insured it for around $100/year and the KDX for $80/year. So I would give State Farm a call and see what they can do for you.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Thanks JST122, I will call them tomorrow. Dont get me wrong, I had no problems with their rates for the past 5 years on the 250F; and its not like they are giving me a rate increase on that bike either. Maybe since they are writing more bike polices (hence all the ads for bikes they run), that claims are coming in and they are rerating the bikes. I dont know, but my wife talked to someone she knows and they insure 3 bikes with them cheap as well.
Thanks guys for the input, I didnt think I would have to shop around when I made my first call, but thats what I will do and Progressive will lose a 5 yr customer.

ryan78

Dec 23, 2005
Try Liberty Mutual when I got my R6 I checked out a bunch of places and they all wanted any where from 1600 - 2500 a year and I got hold of Liberty Mutual and they only wanted about 450 a year so lets just say I'm with Liberty Mutual now

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My 03YZ450F is $128/year thru Farm Bureau in Oklahoma. My 05YZ250 is $72/year. Seems to me that the higher rate is due to the exploding popularity in the big four strokes, which altimately relates to higher theft rates. Just my opinion not fact.

B

biglou

Displacement is the reason according to my agent. The more cc's, the more the insurance. $82/year for my 450, $48/year for the 250.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Another nook of info, cant believe I forgot about this....
"Recreational vehicle policy".... Thats what many insurance companies will put dirt bikes under.. It also is the insurance that covers jet skis, snowmobiles, atv, etc.....
Allstate quoted me $200 with $100 ded under the RV policy.
I also got a card from my local shop of an independent agent who writes thru Progressive and the policies are around $100 or so.
I am almost positive that the lady at progressive is rating the dirt bike under the motorcycle policy, (street bikes), which is wrong. I figured this and couldnt explain to her to write it like my current policy. Oh well, at least I can still pay about the same amount, "whew".
And maybe this thread has helped inform alot of people out there about insurance and that it is a smart choice for these expensive new 4 strokes.
Thanks again all for the feedback here. I still have lib mutual, state farm, and some others to call.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
just called back to progressive, paul there took care of everything. $241 a year now. Apparently the people there the other night were typing in "YZF"... which shows up with the YZF R6, R1, etc..street crotch rockets.

Top Bottom