Proper break-in for piston ring only?

blic

Jan 11, 2000
Hi

How long should I break-in a new piston ring?
It´s on my Husky and it uses only one piston ring.
Is it the same break-in as a new top end? I wan´t to have maximum "length of life" on it.
So don´t tell me to just warm it up a little and then go out and race...or something...
(I made a search but found nothing about piston ring break-in)

Thankyou!

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
You dont really need to "break in" a piston ring. I would first just start it and let it warm up, then just ride it kinda easy for the first ride or two. Im sure this isnt what you wanted to hear, but I'll explain. (Or try to anyway):)

The reason for "breaking a bike in" is when you put a new top end in it, (new piston, rings, gaskets) the piston is brand new. And a new piston will heat faster than a broken in piston. And everyone knows when something heats up, it expands. So a broken in top end will heat equally. But with a new piston and a broken in cylinder, the piston will expand quicker than the cylinder causing seizure. Correct me if Im wrong, but the ring really doesnt have a factor in the seizure, so it shouldnt really matter if its broken in or not.
I hope this helps you a little.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Thanks for posting this...

I just put a ring in my YZ a few days ago and wasn't planning on riding until Sunday's race. I, too, was wondering if I should make the time to "break it in" or if one easy first lap in practice Sunday morning would be good enough.

Usually - for a ring, I would warm the bike, let it cool, repeat 1-2 more times (so the ring would "seat"), then put around 10-15 mins - opening it up some but not screaming the whole time. Then after that - let 'er rip.

I would like to see other's thoughts on this.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
You don't need to heat cycle a ring-only rebuild. Ride it easy for a few minutes, then you are good to go. You should re-torque the cylinder and head after the first ride.

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
I understand your desire to get the most use out of your new rings. Everyone is different but I have seen more riders try to get the maximum life out of pistons and rings that end up with a catastrophic failure that ends up being more expensive then regular scheduled replacement of parts.

From my perspective the best thing you can do to extend the life out of your top end (and that includes the rings) is clean your air filter regularly and be meticules about making sure you don't run dirt through your motor. Things to do include, keeping the reed valve bolts and carb hose clamps tight, keep your bike reasonably clean especially the carb and the airbox, keep your air filter clean. Also, when you clean your filter make sure you don't have any "dry spots". It doesn't take long to ruin a top end by running dirt through it.
My 2 cents.
Have fun.

Last edited:

Top Bottom