Proper break-in procedure for my -02 520 SX

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I will be getting a -02 520 SX this week, and was wondering about the proper break-in procedure. The manual probably says the same thing as my dad's 380 SX manual, 500 km or 5 hours of easy/varying riding without stressing the engine too much. I'm not about to putt around the track for five hours, so I was wondering whether there was some kind of an ideal.

I'm thinking the same thing I've been doing with two-strokes, that is first about 5-10 minutes real easy riding 'til the bike warms up and then letting it cool down (I've let the bikes cool down for 15-30 minutes, is it necessary or beneficial to wait for a longer period (we're getting just below freezing around here this time of year))?

After this I ride a bit longer and harder and wait about the same amount of time. Then I just ride normally but avoid extended periods of high load until the first tank of gas is gone and then I go home and change the oil and filters and proceed to ride normally.

Am I hurting the bike doing this? One thing I've seen recommended is to do the first heat-cycle with the bike on a stand, but I don't feel comfortable letting a racing bike with no cooling fans just sit there and cook. I would let the bike cool down for hours between the first little rides, but I have to take a 30 minute trip to the track and I don't like to just hang around there waiting for the bike to cool down.

Thanks for any replies.

Top Bottom