Proper seat height and how much feet should touch

run29point2

Jul 2, 2002
Hi:
I am interested in getting into trail and enduro motorcycle riding. I am in the process of purchasing a new enduro, off-road type of motorcycle. I am 5' 8 1/2'' and 170 lbs and essentially a new rider.

I have two questions, one regarding proper seat height and foot contact on the ground and the other regarding what size engine displacement would be suitable, 250 or 400 cc.

I have tried sitting on a Suzuki DRZ 400 and found that I could only touch my toes on the ground. Similarly, sitting on a Yamaha WR 250, Honday XR 400, and Kawasaki KXL 300 did not allow my feet to be completely on the ground or even allow me to at least get the 'balls of my feet' on the ground.

So, my first question is how much should my feet touch the ground, at rest, on an off-road class motorcycle and what should I look for in terms of proper seat height? Is just having my tip-toes on the ground normal for this class of bikes or should I be able to contact the ground more?

My second question is what size engine displacement, 250 vs. 400 cc, should I get given the fact that I am a beginner. I would like to get a 400cc (I am very interested in a Suzuki DRZ 400) so I can 'grow' into it with time and experience but I am thinking that it might be too much. I would prefer to buy one bike and not have to buy any more in the future so my thinking is to buy one, say a 400cc, which might be challenging at the start but something I can grow into.

On the other hand, if the 400cc is 'too' much for a beginner and by necessity has a higher seat height compared to a 250cc, then maybe the 250 cc might be the better choice.

Well gang, any help, advice, experience, and information you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Run29 - I've been riding off and on for 30 years -mostly enduros and trail riding but for the past 2 years mostly hare scrambles, barely B level. I'm 1/4 inch taller than you and about 15-20 lbs heavier. Except for desert racing and the like, I don't believe anyone needs more than 250 cc, particularly a beginner. Very few people can really use the extra horsepower. Check the times for different classes and you'll see. The fun factor is much higher on the medium size bikes. If you get the right 250 (or 220 or 200) you'll be all set. Just match the style of bike to the style of riding you plan - don't get a m/x bike for tight trail riding, etc.

Based on my experience and inseam, you probably will not find a trail or enduro bike you can sit on and reach the ground flat footed. We gave that option up to get the ground clearance and suspension travel we now have. If you can touch toes, both sides at the same time, that's probably as good as you will get. I have to kinda lean mine over to kick start it. After that it doesn't matter! Get something and go! Good luck.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Tippy toes are fine if the bike's light-weight enough. I WISH I could tippy toe on both sides, but I can't even do that. It's OK since my bike's nice and light.

I see that FLBob rides a KDX220. That's a decent trail/enduro bike and Bob seems to be around your size too. It's nice and light, has some low end torque, nice power... Have you looked at one of those?

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I suggest the DRZ400E. You won't need to touch the ground, because it has electric start. And stock, the power is not meek by anymeans but it is user friendly. Very linear power, with good torque. And the 250 4strokes are only an inch or two shorter.
And if you think you need more power, get a pipe and rejet. Presto, instant 5hp!
Plust there are these things for the linkage on a DRZ called a Kouba link, lowers it an inch or two. Then shave another inch or 2 off the seat, you got one lowrider! :)

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Run29, I am only slightly taller than you and find the KLX to be a good fit for me and relatively light for a 4stroke. I am nearly flat footed while sitting and this bike even has the longer rear suspension links that make it somewhat taller than stock. Perhaps my weight is the cause there? :(

I understand your concern though, and personally don't see why bikes designed for trail riding should have the extremely tall seat heights or suspension travel that supercross bikes have. The ground clearance to get over logs and such is one argument I guess, maybe water crossings too, but I sure would like to try a smaller bike on the trails. What I have been thinking of doing is to get a trials bike for trail riding, as I have heard they are around 160 pounds and alot of fun. You'd have to be a midget to not touch flat-footed on those things, and apparently their riders don't need huge seat heights to be able to tackle large obstacles.

Maybe something like the GasGas Pampera would be good, is lower in height and lightweight. I think a guy here named BunduBasher has one? Maybe PM him about it.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Run29

the seat height is not an issue. You must consider that the new bikes do not have their suspension broken in and will sag another inch. A 200 class 2- stroke will give you the most opportunity to improve your skills because they are light, easy to work on, and have power you will not be bored with after a month or two. If you get a 4-stroke buy an 03 euro or an 03 WR with e-start. The WR, KTM, or Husky 250s will be good to buy because they are competative and have what it takes to trail ride or win races. Personally I want a 450 or larger for the power and better dual sport capability. Buy a bike that is faster than you are and let your abilities grow in to the bike. Stick with 200-300 2stroke or 250-450 4-stroke.

diablo682

Jul 11, 2002
I am 5'11" and weigh 190 and have been riding the TTR225. It has a low seat height for over 200cc. It would fit you perfectly. I have enjoyed it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…