Dirtbikehunny

Mar 4, 2008
Okay! so i am new to dirt biking and i don't know what bike would be best suited for me. I am a 19 year old girl who's only 5'3 and 115lbs. I've ridden my boyfriend's Honda CRF230 and although the ride was amazing, the seat height killed me when you had to stop and for trails that's just not a practical bike for me. I'm thinking of getting a Honda CRF150, but i want to know whether it has enough power and what not for me. What do you guys think? should i go for a CRF150 and actually be able to touch the ground? or go for something larger that i have to tip toe to ride? lol. On a trail being able to put my foot down would be important. BUT i rode a yamaha ttr-125 and it just felt weak, like i would get bored in a month with it.

Help! Any Bike Suggestions?

What do you girls ride?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I'm the same size as you, both height and weight. I ride a YZ125 with a shaved seat and softer springs. I can touch with my toes or one foot if I'm on one side of the seat. I started on a XR100 just to learn the controls and stuff.

Apr 30, 2007
I'm same size (okay well almost...just an inch shorter)...If you like the 230, try doing a seat foam shave. I sat on the 230 once and wanted one as a "play" or trail bike.

Talk to a dealer and find out if you can adjust the suspension settings on one.

Right now I ride a CR 80 Expert (same seat height as the 230), and plan on upgrading to a 125 two-stroke when I can afford it.

If you do decide to go with the 150, you might want to try the 150 R (racing) model as it has more pep than the regular F model (which is set up for trail settings).

I'm not totally sure, but the 150 R model might be faster than the 230...Ask around and see! Definitely try one out if you can!

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
If you can afford one I highly recommend you try the honda crf150r. My girlfriend is similar size and weight as you. I started her out on a cr80 which is an agressive bike but it really depends on the rider. The dont have much bottom end so they are forgiving with the throttle down low. Once the power band hits hang on!!! She didn't ride much in the power band and 2 stokes don't like that. So I sold that bike (after 2 years of her riding it) and bought her a crf150r.

The reasons I recomend this bike
1. Its light it wont crush you if it falls on you.
2. It has a low seat hight you should be able to sit on it flat footed.
3. Its fairly easy to kick start. Bigger bikes take more to start. With short legs you don't have a lot of kicking travel.
4. It has lots of torque so putting around is just fine
5. really smooth throttle response no suprises
6. Lots of power to learn and develop your skills and improve.

I ride a cr250r and I actually like riding the girlfriends crf150r it is a really nice bike and is a blast to ride. It is no slouch in the power department. I can ride wheelies in 3rd just by rolling the throttle and I am 180lbs.

I really wish the manufacturers had bikes you could try out before buying.
You could also look into the crf150f not as nice of a bike as the 150r but depending on how much riding you intend to do it might fit your needs.

Hope that helped. My vote is the crf150r I paid $2200 for a 2007 with low hours.

Last edited:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
You're getting a lot of good advice. What type of riding do you plan on doing, track or woods? There is quite a bit of difference between the 150 R and F. I wouldn't think of taking my crf150R out in the woods but I've ridden a TTR 125 all day up North. The 150F is taller and longer with a little more power and weight than the TTR and about the same price. I'm 5 ft.tall and am comfortable on all three models and can pick 'em easily when things happen. Speed and power are not an issue because I'm a slowpoke. But the suspension on the R is wonderful. Have fun!

Top Bottom