Protection Advice for repaired rotator cuff

grw3am

Jan 26, 2006
I'm looking for tips on how to protect a newly repaired rotator cuff. I have read about the neoprene braces that hold things in place and looked at the Alpinestars and Six Six One protective jacket type body armor which have shoulder cups. Has anyone had experience with a similar injury?

When the injury occurred I was wearing full gear but the Thor chest protector's shoulder pad lifted and the blow was under it. I'm a little nervous about getting back on the bike without some more protection. Age, 59, makes one more cautious. Thanks anyone who can offer some advice.

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
I use the elastic EVS supports to hold my shoulders in tight. I have old arthur in most of my joints. I am 58 year young.

grw3am

Jan 26, 2006
Thanks Jim F

I had about decided on the brace due to getting the correct fit on full body armor. I am short and thick. Also in the deep south heat is a major consideration.
I noticed you ride a small bore. I did in my enduro days in the 80's and somehow decided that I needed the "ease" of big bore power, a KTM 300, as a senior citizen. I had few close calls with the aggressive hit of the power band but thought it a good trade off for hill climbing and trail obstacles. I finally got bit on loose gravel on a logging road as my last dose of throttle sent the bike out from under me.
I now have a 200 EXC but have yet to ride it since I'm still in rehab. Surgery revealed bone spurs in the shoulder which of course is the beginning of arthritis. Got those plucked during surgery so one side should be good for a while.
I took several years off, 40 until 58, when my 16 yr. old son was just dying to ride. Too many old pictures and a few plastic 4th and 5th place trophies lying around the shop. He is a complete gearhead and has landed a summer job at the KTM shop.
I appreciate your reply!

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
Ya I took off from when I was 35 to 57. I like the light weight for when I have to pick it up, but I do have a rekluse clutch on it to make it easer to ride.

grw3am

Jan 26, 2006
I have read a bit about the clutch and am interested. I rode an old Husky auto once and liked the concept although it was pretty crude compared to the recluse.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
From a sports performance point of view, rotator cuff injuries are common in people with limited thoracic curve (middle - upper spine) and below average postural strength. I'd work on strengthening your postural muscles to ensure your shoulder joints are where they should be. This will make sure your shoulder is in the optimum location for strength and flexibility. Adding a plastic cover to a joint in a poor mechanical position isn't going to do anything... honest! If your shoulders hunch forward and your shoulder blades aren't flat accross your back, you could injure your shoulders swimming!!! Let alone riding a dirt bike. Go see a CHEK Institute guru...

Top Bottom