medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Tore the long head of my bicep last week. OrthoDoc said I'm too old to screw it back in place. I'm worried the short head will tear midmanuever on the track or landing a jump or while rock climbing or eating pizza....Anyone have this happen? I wrapped it tight and rode easy today. It feels and looks creepy.

Red 250

Mar 31, 2008
medwaste said:
Tore the long head of my bicep last week. OrthoDoc said I'm too old to screw it back in place. I'm worried the short head will tear midmanuever on the track or landing a jump or while rock climbing or eating pizza....Anyone have this happen? I wrapped it tight and rode easy today. It feels and looks creepy.
So what are you supposed to do let it just stay that way?????? Jesus I would think they could fix the problem. Saying you are too old sounds like Bologna to me but I'm no Doc....
yeah maybe if you are 70 or something yeah but come on that just doesn't sound right. You just supposed to deal with for the next 30 years?? Doesn't sound like it feels good to me either. .............................Red

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I'd find a different orthopedic surgeon.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SpDyKen said:
I'd find a different orthopedic surgeon.
I gotta agree with spidey Ken. Get a second opinion. Find an ortho doc that works on athletes more than old people.

and when the physical therapist gives you the exercises to do, start them yesterday.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I don't know how old you are but if you are riding track and landing jumps then you aren't ready for the rocking chair just yet!

I second the "find a sports doctor" idea. Most of these type of injuries come from two different types of people: 1) old people who's bodies are falling apart 2) otherwise fit people who injured themselves doing some sporting activity.

If you go to a sports doctor he will have the mentality of "Let's get this guy back doing what he likes ASAP!" The old folks doctor has the mentality of "Let's ease his pain and suffering and buy him a better rocking chair".

When my son tore his shoulder up I am really glad we didn't go with the first doctor he saw.........

Rod

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
I would absolutely second (or fifth) the need for a second opinion.

Sports doc for sure, but good ortho who understand what you do is an absolute necessity.

I keep wanting to tell the funny stories I know about the different standards of care my husband (a lawyer) gets compared to me, the broken down mule. You absolutely need a different doctor. There is no way you are too old.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Just checked with my wife who deals with sports injuries on a regular basis (certified athletic trainer) and she concurred: get a second opinion. She said no matter the answer she would never rely on one opinion.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks alot everyone. I'm definitely going for a second opinion. I was feeling really good today until I got the mail and in it was a flyer from "the Scooter Store"!

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
That's incredibly funny.

Attachments

• scooter-person.jpg
    scooter-person.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 161

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I completely destroyed my rotator cuff 1.25 years ago, when I was 49. My Dr., who specializes in sports medicine, and one of his partners, spent 4.5 hours working on me. He said it was the worst he had ever been able to repair. (When there is nothing left to repair, they do a 'salvage' repair, where you never can get full use back.) Physical therapy (by my phys. terrorist,) was tough & long; 5 months, (but most do 6 or 7.)

Be aware, you need to find a Dr. that you are confident really wants to do what it takes to repair you completely. Most health insurance companies only pay a flat fee for a surgical repair, and believe it or not, it is actually not all that much. They get no extra for a repair with a high degree of difficulty, which takes much more work, than they do for an easy, straight forward partial tear.

Good luck! Lots of good advice posted here.
KW

Red 250

Mar 31, 2008
medwaste said:
Thanks alot everyone. I'm definitely going for a second opinion. I was feeling really good today until I got the mail and in it was a flyer from "the Scooter Store"!
That's ok I keep getting the damn AARP letter telling me its time to sign up. Getting old isn't for sissy's.

J-man

May 16, 2007
yea when i got my wrist checked a few months ago they said its a sprain, next doctor has been talking about surgery due to the multiple breaks.
always get a second opinion

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I didn't need to convince, beg or bribe my second opinion doc. He was totally open to the bicep repair and cleaned up my rotator cuff at the same time. I'm one day post-op and only regret that it was 70 degrees out today. No pain pump or block, be back to work in two weeks. He's an excellent surgeon and a passionate athlete. Thanks Doc.

Apr 30, 2007
Get well quickly!!! (And do a better job of it than I did!!!)

I'm really glad you got a second opinion. I did some calling when I re-broke my collarbone, and true to his word, every hospital (in the near area) I called had already heard about me.

"Oh. You're the motocrosser girl aren't you...We've seen the images of your clavical..."

I'm very glad to hear about a success story for once :D

Top Bottom