cbr rob

Jun 9, 2005
So, to make a long story short (I hope), I am now the proud owner of a 1987 CR250. It's actually in pretty decent shape, with only a few areas in need of attention. These areas of attention are where this story starts.

My brother in law also owns a 1987 CR250, so when I found an auction going for a HUGE assortment of 87 CR250 parts, we jumped on it. So in the end, for a whopping $76 we got, pristine radiators, complete front and rear wheels, complete front and rear brake assemblies, front forks, rear shock, swingarm, cylinder head, a huge bag of nuts and bolts and (what we thought at the time) a stock pipe.

So I start tearing into my new project today, and my bro in law starts looking at my bike and comparing the thrashed stock pipe that I have on the bike to the one we purchased from the auction. It becomes readily apparent that this is not a stock pipe. As he hands me the pipe, I can see faint raised letters in the pipe, that read from top to bottom "P S I ".

I've never heard of these pipes and was wondering if anyone else had? The color is the same as stock (flat black), but has a very similar shape to that of my bro in laws FMF that he has on his 87. So, does anybody know of these things? Good? Bad? Thanks for any info!

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
PSI is an aftermarket performance company, that is best known for their snowmobile pipes and engine modifications, including their Genesis billet engines. They used to also make motocross pipes, although I don't believe they are currently doing much in this arena. I haven't heard a great deal about their motocross pipes, but what little I have heard was good. Their sled pipes are well known for producing big gains over stock exhausts, but are normally quite loud, and some complain of poor fit and finish. Their service is often said to be either great, or horrible, with no middle ground, and users report problems dealing with them at times. I had one of their pipes for my old RM 125 that came with it, but it was dinged up badly and I never ran the bike with it installed, as it came with a brand new DG on it, so I left that on it. It looked to be well made, but I have no idea how it ran.

Since you already have the pipe, go ahead and run it if you'd like. It should work better and look better than a beat up stocker at least.

Here is PSI's website, in case you are interested
PSI Performance

cbr rob

Jun 9, 2005
Thanks for the info, Timberpig. Quality, fit and finish seem to be on par with other aftermarket pipes. All but the cosmetic finish. As mentioned earlier, the finish on this pipe is the same as stock, so I can't comment on any other type of finish that they might have offered.

This pipe has about half a dozen dings on the expansion chamber. Nothing serious, mostly cosmetic. My first thought was to preserve this piece of "history" with something like Jet Hot coating or similar. However, the price is probably more than that of an aftermaket FMF or PC pipe.

Once again, thanks for the info. I'll have to think about whether or not to add it to the list of things to do for the restoration. Thanks for all the input.

Top Bottom