firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey, all, what's everyone's plans for the big weekend? I'm still not sure where I'm riding so if anyone wants to meet somewhere, I'm game. I'm still not up to any real challenging trails yet so even a day at the track sounds fun. Mace? MXP1MP? Others?

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
I migh be heading out to Deer Park MX Track in Port Angeles on monday with a freind. Haven't been there yet this spring but it makes for some good riding!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Deer Park--I've heard of it. Is it worth the drive? What's it like there?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I don't think I'm up to Reiter yet. Monday Steve and I are going to a private track. Saturday and Sunday are open though.

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
Deer park is actually a really fun track. Theres a couple table tops, the bigger being about 60ft. There's a nice rythm section after that and another smaller one. One of the biggest features is the triple step down. It's scary big! Check out a helmet cam and a little out of date track map here. They just ran 4 or so AMA races and it's usaully extremely packed race days with dealerships coming from as far as Mt St Helens. Theres also a great watering system that you can use yourself if it gets dusty.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Is Deer Park the same thing as OPMC?

I'm not thrilled about "scary big." Scary like Goodnoe Hills was? That was pretty bad.

What about whoops? Does it have a pretty good whoop section? That's my favorite part of any track.
What's the dirt like?

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
It's only scary big if you triple it, you can go to the right and just double it. The dirt is pretty good, a little clay mixed in some corners but it takes alot to get it rutty, and a few rocks on one of the straight stretches. It also will get dusty when dry if you don't turn the sprinklers on. The whoop section is definately the most difficult part of the track and I have yet to master it. It's more of a rhythm section where you basicly double-triple-triple them if your good. I've yet to accomplish this though, easier to double all the way through but not nearly as fast. I went down hard and haven't had the guts to try it again but I think I'm up to it the next time I'm out there!

OPMC= Olympic Peninsula Motorcycle Club. This is the club that runs the track and some other organized rides such as poker runs.

I tore this off of the MXA website:

OLYMPIC PENINSULA MOTOCROSS
Up to two races a month and a six-day-a-week practice schedule are standard fare at OPMC. Course length is one-mile, and the dirt is intermediate with some rocks. The downhill drop sends riders a good 80 feet. Other fun sections include a 65-foot double, 50-foot tabletop, a fifth-gear straightaway and numerous off-camber turns. Nearest town: Port Angeles.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Okay, that makes sense. Everybody I know just calls the track OPMC. Some friends of mine are members. How much $ for non-members to ride?

I'm not into tripling. Or doubling for that matter. I am a beginner for sure. Someday . . . I know I can do it just can't make myself go for it.

I wonder if the track would be too much for me.

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
It's $15 for non-members for a day. You can get these day passes at Port Angeles Power Equipment which is just down the road in town a ways. You should probably go with one of your friends the first time.
I'm sure the track won't be to difficult for you. That's the first real track I rode on a MX bike and it was a 1990 CR125. I was still clearing most everything and 125 can do everything with ease if you have the stomach for it. It's a great track to learn to ride MX on since you can roll over the jumps you don't feal like doing.

Joe P. 81

Nov 9, 2000
I have a track across from my house (small and whooped out but better than nothing) and some pretty easy trails. Both Saturday and Sunday are good for me. If you're interested let me know. By the way, do you know Shad and Jayme (spelling ?) from Cydonia?

Joe
'01 YZ250F
'00 CR250

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yeah, Shad and Helmetcam are friends of mine. I haven't had the time to ride with them much lately as I didn't get the new bike much before they took off for Cali. I have ridden with them quite a bit. They're great people. I haven't heard what their plans for the weekend are yet though.

Joe P. 81

Nov 9, 2000
I ride with them once in a while. I was over at their house a while ago and heard them talking about a friend who just bought a new KTM so I figured it was you. Maybe we can all get together and go riding this weekend or some other time. Let me know. I'm always looking for new people to ride with.

Joe

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
next weekend

well how'd it go? i ended up going camping w/ some friends on the peninsula, just south of Brinnon.

who's up for a ride this next weekend? the bike's ready(finally)... but am I?
tahuya? reiter? capital forest?
anybody?

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
Where were you riding near Brinnon? Were you out at the Meadows track or something?

I may head on up to Port Angeles to the OPMC track if my friend isn't working.

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
i didn't ride much at all, i took the bike but nobody i was with owns one.. and my brother left his at home for the weekend... so it was just camping. the only riding i did was on the local streets.

vern#19

Apr 23, 2000
FC22

It was nice meeting you and Helmet cam at SIR the other night It was fun talking to u all.Does Sharla have Bro named Marven?
P.S. What a non gender specific word for You guys , You gals?:)

Top Bottom