Pulse Charged intake System

ODEI

Oct 24, 2000
I ride a XR 250 and looking into using the Pluse Charged Intake System. Has anybody tried this and does it make a difference

Pete Odegaard
Leander Tx

1down4up

Jun 5, 1999
I have a 99 XR250. It has a white brothers
e-series pipe,and McCord's pulse charged
intake system. And it rips. I highly recommend it. A friend had this bike for sale
and I rode and liked enough that I bought it.
Im a woods rider and I have always had
MX 250's, 3 CR's and 1 KX. I don't think you will be disappointed.

ODEI

Oct 24, 2000
My XR is a 93 with the the 280 big bore kit. It works really good in the woods just has that common XR stumble at the bottom end. Any idea how the intake increases the performance of the bike.

Pete O

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
A pumper carb would most likely be more effective in getting rid of that common XR low end "stumble."

------------------
Kevin  #28K
'99 XR600R
Its better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for life.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
the pulse charge is simply AWESOME!! I rode someone's bike that has one and it was unbelievable(on an XR250). It was for sale and another friend(easily a fast B-Class/possibly an A-Class Harescrambler) bought it to replace his '97KX-250.
The bike will pull the front end up at will, something most XR250's have a problem with, yet it revs out very well. What ever it does, it works.

1down4up

Jun 5, 1999
I now have the XR for sale. The pipe and intake system makes this bike rip. This bike has no low end stumble, and pulls strong all the through. Like Bill said it's AWESOME!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Yeah, but does it work on the 400? Which would be the better investment--pulse charger or pumper carb?

My mind is in a whirl!

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
Where would I be able to get additonal info on the pulse charged intake? Who sells them?
What is the cost and on what models are they available. Thanks, CRX

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Does anybody have any experience with it on a xr400??? Plleeeaaassseee!!!!!
I don't want to have to flip a coin to decide between pumper and pulse....last time I flipped a coin I ended up married
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ahh, that's gonna hurt...
XR wolf

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Wolf - Maybe I can shed a dim bit of light. Based on lots of previous experience with XR6s and having worked with Eric Gorr on the original patent US04457267 for a pulse setup ( http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US04457267__ ) I would lean toward the pumper carb. This is not to say there isn't potential value in a pulse system (there is), it's more a matter of bang for the buck on a 400 is going to lean heavily towards a pumper. Just don't go too big on the carb
smile.gif

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"If you live a long time and pay attention, you'll know a whole bunch of useful things"
- Gordon Jennings

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
I INSTALLED McCORD'S ON MY 96 XR 400 AND IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE ,MUCH BETTER THROTTLE RESPONSE,STARTS EASIER,AND DOSEN'T STALL AS EASY,THE GUY I SPOKE TO(RON I BELIEVE) THERE OWNS THE COMPANY ,HE WOULD BUILD THE SYSTEM AFTER HIS DAY TIME JOB,FROM WHAT I UNDERSTOOD THE WAY THE SYSTEM WORKS IS THAT ONCE THE ENGINE IS AT A GOOD RPM AND YOU CHOP THE THROTTLE ,THE SYSTEM GIVES YOU MORE INTAKE VOLUME,SO WHEN YOU OPEN THE THROTTLE IT DOESN'T TAKE THAT EXTRA TIME TO BUILD UP INTAKE PRESSURE TO SUCK THE FUEL FROM CARB,I ALSO OWN A 00 KTM 400 EXC WITH A PUMPER CARB AND THE XR HAS A BETTER LOW END RESPONSE THAN THE KTM,SO I THINK THAT YOU WOULD GET MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WITH THE PCIS THAN THE PUMPER CARB,THE ONLY DRAW BACK IS THAT YOU NEED TO BE A LITTLE HANDY WITH A DREMEL TOOL SO THAT YOU CAN MODIFY THE THE CARB,HE'LL TELL YOU TO SHAVE OFF THE END OF THE CARB THROAT BUT I FOUND IT WAS EASIER TO SHAVE THE INSIDE OF THE INTAKE BOOT WITH A UTILITY KNIFE,HE ADVERTISES IN THE BACK OF MOST DIRTBIKE MAGAZINES,HIS NUMBER IS 406-248-5595 AND THE PRICE IS ABOUT 190 BUCKS

sKiNNyWhEaT

Mar 30, 2001
can someine post more detailed info on this. pulse charge intake thing. at what rpm does it produce most torqe? how does it work on bikes? i need any info avalible plz

DIRT TOOYH

Aug 17, 2000
Here goes,

Ron explained it to me like this:

A four stroke only fires 1 time during 4 cycles. So you want to get the most fuel air mixture in to the combustion chamber once the intake valve opens.
When the intake valve opens, the piston is going down. This causes a vacume, pulling air mixed with fuel in to the combustion chamber. Then when the valve closes, all the air/fuel that was on its way "CRASHES" into the closed valve and stops.
With Rons system the air/gas on the way to the combustion chamber hits the closed valve and is then routed through a hose(never stoping). This hose is a certain legnth so that when the air/gas makes the loop it is back at the intake the exact time the valve reopened.

I purchased Rons system a year ago and I like it. The system is about 1/2 the price of a pumper and gives good results. A pumper may give better results, but they are a pain in the BUTT if you fall or stall out. With the pulse system starting my bike after a crash is no different than stock and might be easier...

my .02
Dirt Tooth

DIRT TOOYH

Aug 17, 2000
Kenny,

You will notice more wheel spin, quicker throtle responce. It adds power everywhere better bottom end, midrange and top end. It seem to make the gears longer, more rev's.

Hope that helped,

Dirt Tooth

Stumpjumper

Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by 1down4up:
I now have the XR for sale. The pipe and intake system makes this bike rip. This bike has no low end stumble, and pulls strong all the through. Like Bill said it's AWESOME!!

I recently installed the McChord's System on a 1996 XR 250. We seem to be having a problem getting it to perform. In comparison to a stock XR with exhaust baffle out, it doesn't seem to have as good of throttle response off the bottom. What year XR 250 are you referring to in your quote? Could you give me an idea of what jetting you are running and possibly how long you have the hose cut to? Has there been any other mods to the bike? I appreciate your help on this. Thanks

x-ray Jeff

Feb 2, 2001
I spoke with Thumper Racing about the Pulse system. I have a 96 xr 250. They have tried it and said "It helped on the bottom, but very little". Based on that and talking to other Companies, I installed a 280 kit. IT RIPS compared to the stocker.
The problem that I see is that no one so far has tried just putting the system on by itself, they put a pipe on also. BAM!!!more power. Is it the pipe or the pulse system?
I removed the baffle from my stock exhaust along with the snorkle in the air box and compared to stock, it is much quicker.
My suggestion is if a bike has a few years on it, freshen up the top end first and even consider a big bore kit. The big bore kit isn't much more than a standard rebuild.
If your bike is tired and down 20% in power, then you put a pipe on it that increases power...20%, well... you got your stock power back with a worn-out top end.
The same thing everyone says about 2-strokes can apply to 4-strokes. Before modifying a engine for more power, make sure the engine is fresh.
Call some top notch 4-stroke builders first before making a big move on mods. Chances are they already tried it.

Top Bottom