put Devol lowering link on XR400,what sag setting?

klymr

Feb 28, 2001
I am height challenged 5'8" so I put the Devol lowering link on my 97 XR400. So now I am looking for suggestions for sag setting and how much to bring the fork tubes up thru the clamps. I weigh 176 no gear on. 41kg springs in front, I do dual sports and also some tight technical riding. Metzler M21's. Any suggestions? By the way I will be at the Trails of the Tejon ride this Sunday 5/18/03.
klymr

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Devol should have given you some numbers for the sag. When you change the linkage ratios and swingarm position - as those links do - you'll need to run less sag than "normal" or you'll find the rear bottoming when you ride agressively. Go to the Koubalinks website -- he gives you suggestions for sag changes with his Kouba Links. I had to run quite a bit less sag and stiffen up the valving to compensate for the longer links.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
It doesn't sound to me like he is going to be riding MX. If not, then with stiffer compression he may not ever bottom it out. But to be on the safe side he probably should lower the sag a bit. something I read recently said to change the race sage from 4inches to 3 inches. To do that you'd have to increase the spring preload tension.

Last edited:
Top Bottom