MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I've never heard of useing spray paint but take some like contact cleaner or wd-40 of something along thoes lines. Spray the inside of the grip, that way they shuld go on rather easy. then I just use safty wire to hold the grips on at the inner most and outter most area of the grip. If you do a search you will find every thing about this topic you would ever need.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Sorry Monkeymouse, DON'T USE WD-40!! Why would you apply an oil to your grips? Renthal and Honda both make excellent grip glues. I used to use spray paint, but I haven't seen true laquer paint in stores for years

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I just mist the inside of the grip to make it easy to slide on. It will dry up and I don't see how it would harm anything? All I know is I haven't had a grip come off in 4 years of ridding.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I may be wrong, but I still wouldn't put anything oily on my grips. I do safety wire mine in three places. :think:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Simply people have different techniques.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Watch the chemicals around the renthal grips. I used spray paint once with that brand. The grip disolved in my hand! It was funny as can be, but a pain in the butt because the shop was closed.

nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
thx for the help i just bought my yz125 because i used to race 80's but got to big for em and the yamaha gripsmade my hands hurt like hell so i bought scott gell fusion grip things and i alosoi bought scott grip stick and believe me its sticky as hell but it just drys in 2 seconds so i cant eve get them on i tried using super glue im going to go down in a couple minutes after posting this to see if it works if it donmt ill try grip stick again and if that doesnt work ill try spray paint. thx

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Rcannon
Watch the chemicals around the renthal grips. I used spray paint once with that brand. The grip disolved in my hand! It was funny as can be, but a pain in the butt because the shop was closed.

Some contact cleaners will also dissolve them...suggest you test in a small area, or old set first. I like grip glue myself, but have used paint, contact cement, rubber cement and contact cleaner. Whatever you use, do it at least the night before your ride and lockwire both grips afterwards, just to be sure.

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
My last set of grips I used contact cleaner to put them on. The contact cleaner acts like a lubricant while you slide them on but it quickly melts a bit of the grip and then it sets against the handlebar. I've had my grips on since spring and they don't slip at all, no safety wire either.

nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
ok thx the scott grip stick didnt work should i put it on the handle bars or inside the grips because ive beenn putting it on the barshow did yamaha get there stock ones to stick so good thx

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
This may have been covered, but here it is anyway. I put whatever glue on the bar and the grip, poke a hole in the end of the grip, put my hand over the other end of the bars to eliminate air loss, and put some compressed air to the grip I'm putting on. Blows up like a mini ballon and slides right on.

I've used the renthal grip glue and it always seems to manage to slip for me (dozen sets of grips worth of testing). I tried the glue used to mount foam racing tires for RC cars, and that seems to work pretty well, and we've been using that lately. Seems to set up slower so you can rotate the grip into the position you like much more easily before it sets.

Hope you found something useful in there. ;)

-Bob

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I never thought of CA glue, stormer. That stuff is basically super glue, but Losi sells it in several thicknesses. I may have to try that. :thumb:

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Gary B,

Not CA or super glue, the flexible stuff to adhere foam rubber to plastic or metal.

From TRC, it would be part number trctr902.

Seems like everytime I use the Renthal stuff, My grips are 180 degrees from where they started in about an hours ride time. I don't blame the glue, I'm sure it's likely me doing something wrong with it. I suppose if I wasn't replacing bars all the time I wouldn't have this problem. It's Elves or Gnomes that bend the bars. As best I understand it, they sneak into my garage the night after a ride, bend my bars, scratch up the bike, and then slip into my room and beat me mercilessly with rubber hoses and lead pipes. That has to be the reason for all the bent bars and bike scratches, and also would explain the bruises I seem to get for no good reason when the bars show up bent... :)

-Bob

hardcore_rm

May 21, 2003
anyone ever used hairspray? i use it as when it's wet the grips go on easy and then it dries sticky and holds the grips right, anyone else use hairspray?

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I believe most hairsprays are laquer based. Luckily, I'm bald, so I don't normally worry about these things. ;) Mousse grips, eh! :)

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Renthal glue works great if you follow instructions. You must allow plenty of setting time. ( No good for replacing grips at the meeting, best to have a spare bar ready done )

bobjay516

Aug 18, 2003
I used to ride bmx and have put tons of grips on in my day. Two words Starter Fluid. Drench the grip and the handlebar with it...slide the grip on... and bam 2 seconds later the grip is solid no movement whatsoever

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Windex on the bars and inside the grip. Slides on like butter. Once the Windex dries, they are a little snug. Then safety wire the grips on. They won't budge until you snip off the safety wire, at which point they will come off easily. No cutting the grip, or scraping/sanding off old glue. And no need to muck with gas, hairspray, glue, cement, etc.

Top Bottom