MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Guys, I've heard you can use a piece of PVC pipe as a fork seal driver. If I split the piece of PVC pipe, and put it around the lower fork tube, do I just slide the PVC pipe and hit the seal? Or, do I somehow hit the PVC pipe to drive the seal in? 1996 YZ125 forks

Thanks, my forks are apart and I await your response.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I've used this before and I just used a long enough piece of PVC to get a good grip on it. Just slide the PVC down the fork tube repeatedly, with moderate force, and it will drive the seals home. Make sure to get the edge of the PVC you are using free of burrs and debris from when you cut it.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
You can, just make sure to cut in in half! I got an adapter that had 6 inch pipe on one side and the proper diameter on the other so that i could use a mallot to hit the driver.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Kawie, can you discribe that a little more indepth? I am going to go to Home Depot and get some supplies tomorrow. How do the two tubes connect??

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
I used the pvc pipe seal installer for nearly 12 years. Then I finally coughed up for a Motion Pro one. I was an idiot for those 12 years :(
The proper tool makes it so easy.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I've done it both ways, and I agree with ACS. If you've got the cash, I'd buy them. If you get a bike that has a different size fork than you currently have, you will easily get at least half what you paid for them back. I'd bet they would sell on this forum in 2 hours or less.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I know, but I don't have the bucks or the time to get one.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I use the PVC but after I split it, I use a couple of hose clamps and tighten it on to the the fork tube. Then the mass of the fork tube acts as a sliding hammer. Pops the seal right in. :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Layton
I use the PVC but after I split it, I use a couple of hose clamps and tighten it on to the the fork tube.
Now we are talkin' I understand that.

Top Bottom