mxmom112

Sep 8, 2006
My son has a PW50 (2000). We bought it new and never had a problem. All of a sudden, the other day it shut off while he was riding it. Now it starts but shuts off as soon as the choke is off and you give it gas. My husband tried everything he could think of. Any ideas? :ride:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
clogged pilot jet, carb needs cleaned. my first guess

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
check your airfilter first. had similar thing happen on my son's 70 and turns out that some critter decided to build a nest in the airbox. i mean, who looks in an xr70 airbox more than once a year anyway...

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
this must be a common problem, my friend's PW is doing the same thing. Hours wise, it's almost brand new, but has sat months at a time without running. I would imagine the pilot jet on these is naturally very small...

JGrossijr

Dec 29, 2004
Our PW acted like that when the rubber extension on the main jet came off. Pull the float bowl off and see if there is a short piece of hose laying in the bottom. If there is, just slip it over the main jet, and put it back together.

shoplifter5

Mod Ban
Sep 13, 2006
if it still does that after its cleaned it means that the bike is running too lean try to richen up the mixture by opening the air mixture valve or maybe even going with a bigger main jet.

yz80nbeast

Jan 25, 2007
same thing happened to me 4days ago, so this is wat u do take the carb off take the the air and fuel mixture screw out and the idle screw, and the two screws in the float bowl out blow all the holes out and then put it back together and then it will ride flawless
p.s. tightend the 2 screws in the float bowl good becausee the bike will idle so good that it will lossen them in like 10mins and you will have to do this procedure over again(happened to me twice.

omni-vore

Jul 21, 2007
My PW did this today when the kids were riding it. I guess a carb service is in order.
What type of oil do I need to use when I drain and refill the 300 cc crankcase?

Top Bottom