wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
We have a 2004 PW50 and its throttle limiting screw doesn't seem to do much anymore. Either the screw is in so far that the bike will barely move, or the screw falls out if you try to adjust it to go a little faster. The bike won't even move on level ground in our backyard because of the screw, and if I adjust the screw so that the bike will move, the screw falls out and the bike speeds up quickly...not good. (Throttle limiting screw is new.)

The bike runs well, and I have long since removed the washer from the exhaust pipe.

Should I replace the grip assembly on the chance that fresh threads (in the hole where the screw goes) will allow a better bite from the screw? Is there anything else I've missed? Anything else I can try?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Try using a jam nut on the screw that way when you get your setting right it can be locked in so the screw won't fall out.

Steve

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
You might also want to hit some of the PW50 "performance" websites and pick up a few jets for it. The PW is jetted really fat, stock, and runs pretty poorly as a result. Get it to run better and it should be easier to throttle it down a bit.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
The screw goes into the hole in the throttle grip almost 1/8" inch before the threads bite. I suspect that the initial threads in the throttle grip hole are worn down (looked that way with a flashlight.) The jetting idea sounds worth a try.

I'm somewhat ignorant on mechanical items, but there is a nut that comes with the screw to lock in the setting; is this what you mean by "jam nut"?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Leave the screw out and let your child figure out the modulation of the throttle if the threads are buggered up. Worst case put the washer back in and leave the screw out until they get it sorted out how it works. I removed the washer and only used the limiting screw for about 4 rides and my son got the hang of it.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
wanaride said:
I'm somewhat ignorant on mechanical items, but there is a nut that comes with the screw to lock in the setting; is this what you mean by "jam nut"?

That would be it.

Steve

Top Bottom