canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A new thread to keep the info on your fun-with-sparky-box thread clean....

Would you please list the wiring off the oem box and the connectors used on those wires? I have a spark box from jag, but the color codes are not the same when compared to the connectors on my 'H' 200. Before I make his black/yellow wire have the same connector (spade vs: bullet) I'd like to verify the wire does the same thing.

Something along the line of:

black/yellow bullet/male box output to coil +

...etc......

No, I don't know the box I got is the same vintage as your bike, but if your loom is the same as what I got, I'll go with it.

Thanks!

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
see if this illustration helps:

http://www.geocities.com/a57ngel/moto/CDI.html

My black/yellow is a spade that connect to the ignition coil.
The black ring connector is coil ground.
Black pin is stator coil.
White/Red female is stator juice.
Black/White is kill switch.

In my picture I have the 22K resistor(3rd from the thermistor/beige colored) and the 2K thermistor installed. Have removed the 22K resistor and changed to a 1K thermistor. Jag's illustration should clear things up!!

Last edited:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
canyncarvr said:
Would you please list the wiring off the oem box and the connectors used on those wires? I have a spark box from jag, but the color codes are not the same when compared to the connectors on my 'H' 200.

You going to try out one of Jag's modded CDI's? If so keep us posted on how it works. Building a CDI from scratch to Jag's specs might be the next mod to try... :-)

-Maurice

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
m0rie said:
You going to try out one of Jag's modded CDI's? If so keep us posted on how it works. Building a CDI from scratch to Jag's specs might be the next mod to try... :-)

-Maurice
I found Jag's spec's to be an excellent guideline. The only differences I noted with my 1990 CDI were: 1) pull down resistor is 15 ohm, not 16.----2) original SCR is 2 amp/4 amp rms---however, going to 8 amp as Jag suggests may improve reliability.----3) unless thermistors wear out and their resistance drops, mine measured 1K ohm, not 1.7K. Jag's notes are required reading for the rebuild.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Cicone,

Did you just rehab the original CDI board? Would it be possible to start with a bare circuit board and solder up everything? Looks like Jag has a fairly good schematic posted on his site. Otherwise I guess buying a spare from YABE and disassembling it would be the way to go.

-Maurice

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
m0rie said:
Cicone,

Did you just rehab the original CDI board? Would it be possible to start with a bare circuit board and solder up everything? Looks like Jag has a fairly good schematic posted on his site. Otherwise I guess buying a spare from YABE and disassembling it would be the way to go.

-Maurice
Yes and yes---I removed all the old components and soldered in new ones. It would be very easy to breadboard it or etch your own board from scratch. Since I ordered extra parts, I plan to build a backup from scratch. The only problem is getting those little connector boots to keep out moisture, though there must be a way to work around that.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Carver---Here's one way you might identify the coil wire to terminate with the spade fitting. Per my personal test matrix notes---attach red(+) lead to suspected coil spade---black lead to all other wires should read infinity. This is the only combination of connections(5 wires) that gives that result---for my CDI anyway. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom