MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
can someone explain to me how the process is? i want to either race the qualifier at tomahawk or highpoint for the northeast region. i will be racing 250 C class on a pretty much bone stock 2004 rm250. what place would i have to get to be able to race at the regional? and i have to place at the regional to qualify for lorettas right? can someone explain how it works

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
they'll let you run a 2004 RM250 in the 125 class?

sounds like an unfair 2-stroke advantage

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Perhaps, plus I got wrapped up in reading the Loretta stuff and checking the tracks in my region while I was getting the link set up to post.

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
i read that stuff before i started this and it kinda helped but not really. what do i have to place in the area qualifier and the regional to go to lorettas? that unfair two stroke advantage is my only chance of even having a chance. i dont really care about how i finish at lorettas i just want to a chance to go and compete. im gonna try my hardest if my hardest is last place then so be it

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
It depends on how many people show up at the race. If you get in the top percentage then you race at the regional and race for a chance to go to Loretta's.

Call the track that you plan on racing at and ask them how many spots are available, they should have a better idea than us.

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
well i plan on racing the qualifier at tomahawk this month just to get me back into the game considering i havent been on a track since fall. if i dont qualify there then im gonna go to highpoint next month and hopefully qualify there. ill talk it over with my dad tonight and then hopefully call the track

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Highpoint is a great track. You can call Davey at his office in Morgantown, WV and get some advise. He runs the Racer X magazine, pick up a copy and get the number or call information. In case you didn't know he also owns Highpoint and his Dad is the one that started the Loretta stuff back in the day.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Finish top 8 at the Area, and you'll get a spot at the Regional, well kinda... If you do the math 8 x 8 = 64, and most gates only hold around 40, so you might get to the Regional, and have to run a pre-qualifier even to get to stay at the Regional. But even if you finish top 10-12 at the Area, you can still send your money, and might get to ride at the Regional, they will post the final list online before the Regional.

Here's the info on this from http://www.mxsports.com/qualifying/, which I guess you didn't understand:

1. The United States is divided into seven regions. There is a maximum of eight Area Qualifiers in each region. You must first attend at least one Area Qualifier and finish in an advancement position. The number of riders guaranteed to advance to the Regional Championships are as follows:

Northeast 8 South Central 8 Southeast 8 Southwest 9
Mid-East 8 Northwest 15 North Central 8

And then if you make it to the Regional, you have to finish top 7 and you are guaranteed a spot on the line at the Nationals. Again, if you finish top 10-12, you can still send your money, and might make it directly in (like if people qualify in more than one region, multiple classes and have to choose, get hurt, just don't go, etc.). At that point, they use a formula based on your finish and the number of riders at your Regional to give you a "ranking" number to decide if you get in, or make it as an alternate, or none of the above. Again, it'll be posted on their site before the National.

Here is the rule on that from http://www.mxsports.com/qualifying/:

2. If you place in an advancement position you will then be invited to the Regional Championship in the area in which you qualified. Again you must finish in an advancement position to be invited to the National Championship at Loretta Lynn's. The number of riders guaranteed to advance to the Loretta Lynn's National Championship are as follows:

Northeast 7 South Central 6 Southeast 7 Southwest 5
Mid-East 7 Northwest 4 North Central 6

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Perfect Nikki! If you make it past the regionals, you will deserve it! For what its worth, Ponca City is a lot easier to get to. But, the same top guys race both series! Ponca runs the week ahead of Loretta's. Did you figure out that you are going to race 250 c class on the rm 250, or do you have another bike?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
for the mx lites a class, does that mean you can ride a 250cc 2t or 4t in the same class?

Yep, Lites is 122-250 cc, 2-stroke or 4-stroke. And in the MX class is 122-Open cc.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
For what its worth, Ponca City is a lot easier to get to. But, the same top guys race both series! Ponca runs the week ahead of Loretta's.

yep, unless you're really fast (just trophying locally probably won't cut it), you might seriously consider ponca instead of loretta's. you're virually guaranteed to qualify and it's a fun national too. not the caliber of loretta's but still a good time.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Save your money, race locally more often then spend ridiculous amout it cost to do that type of racing. Of course sounds like you have never done it before, then once isn't bad i guess. But after doing this race crap and spending 3 years "trying" to make it, and then making it to this cattle drive......1984. Never would bother again. You bust your but, and it's nothing more then a way to seperate you from alot of cash........

oh and this crap of qualifing then going to a regional to "requalify" is bullsht, back in the "day" you made it or you didn't, this is perfect example of generating a cash cow.

sorry to be a little crude. My opinion on the process isn't the same as some.

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
yeah my dad kinda felt the same way you did wardy. the cost just to go to broome tioga alone was enough for him to say no. can somebody tell me more about "ponca" or lead me to a website? its somewhere in the east right?

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
oh damit don't turn this into that kind of thread! next Pred will be here telling you about stroke envy!

keep it about how much it costs to go to LL. LOL!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
ponca seems to be in oklahoma and thats about 1000+ more miles than my dad would be willing to drive. maybe ill make it to lorettas next year when i have my own truck and job

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom