Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
I am trying to get an old dirk bike running. It's a 1969 Yamaha DT1, 250 ccs. It was a basket case when I got it, but the engine was complete and mostly assembled. I rebuilt the top end and cleaned and adjusted the carb - among a whole lot of other stuff - but when I kicked if I got no spark. The whole electrical system consists of four wires running off the alternator. Only the black wire is used and it runs directly to a kill switch and then to the coil. The coil is new, as is the spark plug. The kill switch is new. I pulled the stator and cleaned all the connections. I replaced the points. I cleaned all the grounds I could find on the timing plate. I wirebrushed the inside of the flywheel. The magnets are all strong. Nothing. The stator consists of three small coils arranged in a circle on the timing plate. One coil powers the ignition coil and spark plug. One powers the lights and stuff, all of which is long gone. I don't know yet what the third coil does. Does anyone know how I can check to find out if the coils are capable of producing juice? Is anyone familiar with stators like this one and know of anything else I sould be doing to checking? Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can provide.

Patrick

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom