Question about newer bikes suspension...

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Hey, first time poster in the suspension forum!

First off, I'm probably 145 lbs in gear.

I have a 97 RM 125, I bought it used so I don't about any revalving or re-springing.. though everything appears stock. I never rode a bike with a suspension that really worked.. until this weekend.

My girlfreind bought an 03 CR85... man, I didn't get a chance to do big jumps or feel for bottoming resistance, but I was able to hammer through whoops like never before. I always thought it was sprung too soft for a person my size but I think I was wrong.

My point is... I've played with damping and preload on my bike but I think I know now the springs are too stiff. Will I have the same problem on any of the 03 125s? Are they all sprung too stiff for my weight? I'm just trying to guage if I'll have to spend more money to be happy with an already 5000 bike....

I don't have many friends with new bikes.. so I can't try them out for myself.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
At your weight you will find most bikes too stiff im afraid.If you fall out the designed ideal weight then its at least new springs and possibly a revalve needed.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah FARK and youve got to consider the inherent smile factor that comes about when an adult gets to riding a junior sized bike . Most new bikes may be setup a bit firm for you nowadays .

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Thanks guys, I was afraid of that. I just needed to know for sure before I get into those payments! My next question... might not be the apropriate forum though... I'm eying the KTM 125SX. I know they don't utilize a linkage for the swingarm... does that pose a problem to most riders? Is it more difficult to get a suspension with no linkage "right"? I know just about all sportbikes use linkages... as do the japanese race bikes.

I read in a magazine that the KX125 has the plushest suspension of the class; though it probably still isn't soft enough for my weight I assume.

Well, thanks so far guys, let me know about the KTM.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Fark which magazine said it has the plushest?i would disagree with them-the forks ive heard are alot better than all previous WPs but the shock is still stiff and harsh.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Fark said the KX was noted as being the plushest, but I'm starting to wonder what the definition of "plush" is.

buick1987gn

Dec 28, 2002
Yes, that might not even be the word. And I threw the magazine out I think. Might be Dirt Rider. The 250F came first, then the YZ125, then the SX, KX, RM, CR... if that helps.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Basically i dont think it matters that much which bike you decide on as they will all need to be set up for your weight-however the RM has the twin chamber showa forks which IMO are the ones with the most potential-the showa shock is nice also-i dont like the CRs baldder forks but they are easy to modify-the KXs forks are nicer.Dont know much about the YZ forks.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm just gonna stick with the 97 RM125... spend 1500 or so and make it right. Hasn't done me wrong yet. THe jug is on it's way to Mr Gorr and I'm looking for a suspension shop.

Top Bottom