Garrett T

Oct 22, 2009
hello, i just got a new ktm 200xc, and i heard the suspensions set up for 160lbs riders. well im 14 5'3 and 120lbs. the height of the bike is perfect for me cause i do better ridding a bike thats big for me then being a lil small.

i have a question on what the preload, sag, compression do.

what i think is that the sag is how much the bike goes down when your on it, compression is how stiff the forks/rear suspension is, and preload being when you land a jump the preload makes the suspension rebound?? i dont know, i would like to learn the basic stuff so i can set my bike for my weight.. thanks!!

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
Garrett T said:
hello, i just got a new ktm 200xc, and i heard the suspensions set up for 160lbs riders. well im 14 5'3 and 120lbs. the height of the bike is perfect for me cause i do better ridding a bike thats big for me then being a lil small.

i have a question on what the preload, sag, compression do.

what i think is that the sag is how much the bike goes down when your on it, compression is how stiff the forks/rear suspension is, and preload being when you land a jump the preload makes the suspension rebound?? i dont know, i would like to learn the basic stuff so i can set my bike for my weight.. thanks!!

in short, you adjust the sag to get a balanced suspension. by having the right riders sag, the static sag will tell you also if you have the right spring.

compression means compression damping, the opposite is rebound

preload means spring-preload. almost no preload on fork springs, to get the right sag on the shock you have to adjust the shock spring preload

for advanced info just do a search here

Top Bottom