JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
Ok i heard and read that the ama is changing the classes so all the 125's ride together, the 250's ride together and the 450's ride together, 2 and 4 stroke. but if right now its 125's and 250f's together and they were said to be pretty even. how are the 250f's gonna compete with the 250's who were supposed to be even with the 450f's?

this has been bothering me. so thanks in advance for the answers

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The only people that thought that the 125's and 250F's were pretty even were the AMA rule makers. This is why you don't see 125's at the AMA Pro Racing events. It is also why there are so few racing anywhere. When you put the 250F bottom end torque up against a 250 2-strokes top end power, then you get a much more even race.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ok thats what i was thinking. it was bad racing against all the 250f's especially on those jumps right after corners. i can never keep up with them.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
if you ask me ama messed up the rules so bad with class sizes, that it is never going to be fixed now.

This rule is stupid, and if where I race follows it I will ride with 250f's anyways, cause nobody will be in my 125 class.

Two strokes are so dead, and manufacturers are so set with development on current 4-stroke displacements that changing the rules won't do anything except maybe now I will have to race against 250 two strokes too. yay.

anyways thats just my take on the situation. My bike is still fun for me, and I guess i am competitive at the level of racing i do so oh'well.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
maybe all the people near you put away their 125s because it was useless to race them against 250fs, but now that they have their own class, their going to bust em out again

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i love my 125. they are so much fun to ride. i will never get rid of it. i may get a 250f eventually but i will never stop riding the 125.

TRCTRC

Dec 18, 2007
*&^$% AMA

Few years back I bought a Yamaha PW50 for the kid to race in the peewee class, did lot's of flat track too and needed all the power we could get. Mods were allowed so I modded it during the winter, then the ama said no mods in that class, so I bought another new pewee to race. Then the rules said that the faster 50's could race in the pewee class so I bought a very fast 50... it was called a Wasp (very fast)...the AMA outlawed them the same year and they weren't even allowed on the track sooo I bought a new 60cc and an 80cc bike for the kid to race and the same bikes came out the following year in a 65cc and a 85cc version. I was allowed to bore to the class limit of 65cc in one class and 85cc in the other class, that's what I did and it cost a lot but I final had two good bikes that would keep up....except the AMA changed the rule the following year to say that NO bored motors were allowed, not even to make the same amount of cc..soooo I bougth two more bikes..one was 65cc one was 85cc..just like the ones I just put a ton of money in and had to sell. I ported those motors and such...lot's of money. Sooooo then I bought a CR125R 2000, same year I bought it I found that it had to run with the 250F's, rule change from the AMA. It just didn't have enough power but the AMA said I can bore it to 144cc...well a CR125 2000 CAN'T be bored to a 144, it's imposable because of the exaust port configuration. Soooo I bought a new YZ250F to run in that class, now I am told that I can sell my YZ250F at a loss so I can buy a new 250 two stroke for the same class to keep up?

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
TRCTRC said:
Few years back I bought a Yamaha PW50 for the kid to race in the peewee class, did lot's of flat track too and needed all the power we could get. Mods were allowed so I modded it during the winter, then the ama said no mods in that class, so I bought another new pewee to race. Then the rules said that the faster 50's could race in the pewee class so I bought a very fast 50... it was called a Wasp (very fast)...the AMA outlawed them the same year and they weren't even allowed on the track sooo I bought a new 60cc and an 80cc bike for the kid to race and the same bikes came out the following year in a 65cc and a 85cc version. I was allowed to bore to the class limit of 65cc in one class and 85cc in the other class, that's what I did and it cost a lot but I final had two good bikes that would keep up....except the AMA changed the rule the following year to say that NO bored motors were allowed, not even to make the same amount of cc..soooo I bougth two more bikes..one was 65cc one was 85cc..just like the ones I just put a ton of money in and had to sell. I ported those motors and such...lot's of money. Sooooo then I bought a CR125R 2000, same year I bought it I found that it had to run with the 250F's, rule change from the AMA. It just didn't have enough power but the AMA said I can bore it to 144cc...well a CR125 2000 CAN'T be bored to a 144, it's imposable because of the exaust port configuration. Soooo I bought a new YZ250F to run in that class, now I am told that I can sell my YZ250F at a loss so I can buy a new 250 two stroke for the same class to keep up?

Ouch....

I don't think the 250t and the 250f will be that mis-matched.

If Ryan Villopoto can pull a holeshot on a bunch of 450fs (and turn the fastest lap times) on a 250f, I really don't see how you can say people on the 250t's have that much of an advantage.

Everyone always says this, but everyone always forgets. Its 90% rider 10% bike! Honestly...take the money your going to spend this spring on a new exhaust system and sign you / your kid up for a racing school!

Take the $$ you were going to spend on a 250t and buy a season pass to a MX track.

Even take the money you were going to spend and get a treadmill or a gym membership. I'm serious, if you really really want to be the best in this sport you have to exercise and be in shape.

Top Bottom