Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
Marcus or anyone else, I have a Vertex piston for the Husky 125 which I am going to put in my Honda. Of course this piston does not have to window or lightening holes. My question is, which way should the arrow on the piston point, intake or exhaust? Also, should I set the ring gap at the place specified on the piston? It seems to be at a different place than the ring gap on the Honda?

Wow, no wonder the stock piston rattled so bad, the Vertex fits much tighter.

Thanks for the help.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jay the arrow should point towards the exhaust-how do i know this,the 1st ever piston i fitted(1985 Cr125) i put it the wrong way-BIGG mistake.The ring location pin should be on the intake side.Yes the location pin is in a different place but these pistons have been used in Crs since 2000 with no failures i know of(unlike the std piston BTW).I would set the ring end gap as instructed in the box.

I too just fitted mine and was surprised how easily the guedeon pin came out of the std piston-i didnt like that.Surely it stands a chance of spinning while in use.The wisecos/vertex/srs have all been a nice tight hand push fit.

Report back to use your riding impressions.

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
Thanks for the info, I would have had it together this afternoon, but I was sent a gasket set for a CR80 instead of a 125.

The setup I am trying is, a V-force reed cage with the Vertex Husky piston (53.94mm) and the cometic high compression top end gasket set (thinner base gasket). I plan to run 50/50 mixture of 110 Exxon race gas to 93 octane pump gas with 3 oz per gal of Motul 800. I will post my results when I get it together.

I was very happy with the condition of the top end with approx. 30 hrs of use with Motul 800. Head was clean, exhaust ports pretty clean, power valve had very little carbon buildup. Piston only showed a little scuffing on the skirt, but this was probably due to the loose factory piston. Cylinder bore still had factory hone marks with no other marks visible.

Top Bottom