mx_361

Oct 14, 2004
I currently run Motul T2 800 in my 05 RM 250. This is the same oil I have used of years in many different bikes. I have always mixed it at 50:1 as Motul recommends with no trouble until now. I saw where team suzuki recommends using the Motul but they recommend running it at 32:1. I went to this from day one on the RM but it smokes worse than any bike I have had and leaves a black residue all over the fender. I have been planning on going back to the 50:1 but the bike is already running very rich off of the bottom. I know 50:1 is a richer gas mixture and leaner oil mixture so how would this change effect the overall performance? Should I stick with the 32:1 as Suzuki says and just rejet it or go back to the 50:1 that Motul recommends and has always worked well for me in the past? Just wanted your input and thought you could offer me some more insight into all of this. For reference I just had the 265 kit done. I have not run it with this yet so I am unsure how this will effect everything if at all.

Thanks for the help,

Jody Howell

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I think you would be fine at 50:1. I run my 125 at 40:1 on Castrol TTS. Theoretically adding more oil made your bike leaner but you are seeing more smoke/spooge so you would have to go leaner yet with jetting to clean it up. I experience the same thing when my bike was new and never found that more oil "leaned out" the jetting and I had less spooge with less oil. I know people will disagree with me shortly! :laugh:

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Oh, just to cover all the bases. I'm not sure on your bike, but mine was delivered with very rich jetting stock, if that is the case you might need smaller brass either way.

mx_361

Oct 14, 2004
For Eric

Sorry I really was looking for Erics views on this.

I currently run Motul T2 800 in my 05 RM 250. This is the same oil I have used of years in many different bikes. I have always mixed it at 50:1 as Motul recommends with no trouble until now. I saw where team suzuki recommends using the Motul but they recommend running it at 32:1. I went to this from day one on the RM but it smokes worse than any bike I have had and leaves a black residue all over the fender. I have been planning on going back to the 50:1 but the bike is already running very rich off of the bottom. I know 50:1 is a richer gas mixture and leaner oil mixture so how would this change effect the overall performance? Should I stick with the 32:1 as Suzuki says and just rejet it or go back to the 50:1 that Motul recommends and has always worked well for me in the past? Just wanted your input and thought you could offer me some more insight into all of this. For reference I just had the 265 kit done. I have not run it with this yet so I am unsure how this will effect everything if at all.

Thanks for the help,

Jody Howell

Jan 17, 2005
mx_361 said:

Thanks for the help,

Jody Howell
You need best to stay with 32:1. Resize pilot jet, main jet and then adjust air screw. Always run at least 100 octane and clean air filter. Remember your altitude, very important. 32:1 lubricates better. I used to be a 50:1 mixer with Klotz R50,in my 2002 cr250, however I will be running Klotz R50 mix at 32:1. Some motors will make more horsepower at 32:1.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's a busy time of year so it's tough for Eric to answer general questions like this. The short answer is, trying to fix a jetting issue by fiddling with the oil ratio is a bad idea. Running an oil at a ratio different than the oil blender recommends isn't a very good idea either.

In short, a 50:1 ratio is fine if you are running at slow speeds and moderate loads in the woods. If the rpm and loads are high 50:1 isn't the best ratio to use. 32:1 and an oil designed for that ratio would be a better choice for these high load, high rpm situations. The way the bike is ridden should determine the oil type and ratio you use. Just becuase an oil is a good product, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good product for your application. :cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'd stick with 32:1 and re-jet it.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
kickstartkx said:
KX02 How do you like the castrol tts? does it burn clean?

It was a fairly new oil in the US when I got my bike and it is what Kaw says to use in the manual so I tried it after using a couple of other oils. I've been using it most of the last 3 years. It keeps the top end and powervalve pretty clean, has almost no smoke after the bike is warmed up, and doesn't have much of a smell to it like some oils do. :cool:

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I run Bell Ray at 40:1 after running 32:1 I noticed that the bike just runs better. Idles better, doesn't load up as much and seems like a good compromise. I have an 04 CR250R

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
KX02 said:
I think you would be fine at 50:1. I run my 125 at 40:1 on Castrol TTS. Theoretically adding more oil made your bike leaner but you are seeing more smoke/spooge so you would have to go leaner yet with jetting to clean it up. I experience the same thing when my bike was new and never found that more oil "leaned out" the jetting and I had less spooge with less oil. I know people will disagree with me shortly! :laugh:

well I dont want to disagree or agree with you just want to point out that if you dump some oil on the ground and dump some gas on the ground come back 10 minutes later you will still have a puddle of oil.For EPA'[s sake dont actually do this just imagine it. If you have less oil in your mix then yes you will probably have less of a black oily mess over the exhaust connections but you will have more evaporated gas wasted out the tail pipe

when I bought pump gas I would mix 32 -1 one sixteen oz. bottle to 4 galls what could be simpler and more than I would use in a typical outing. Since I run 5 gallon pails of racing fuel now I run 40 -1 ...... one sixteen oz. bottle of oil to 5 galls and use it for 2 outings in my 2 stroke. I have had less problems at 40 - 1 but I can pretty much gaurantee it has a lot more to do with the fuel than the oil ratio I am using

I probably don't stress the bike enough to warrant lots of oil but I can tell if I have fresh race gas 1 month old race gas or pump gas being summer blend/winter blend etc etc...

I will swear on a stack of bibles that New Jersey winter fuel(cut with mtbe as an oxygenate) is not a bad fuel for a gravity fed dirt bike carb(no such thing as vapor lock) once you lean out the jetting.Compared to Pennsylvania summer fuel(cut with alcohol to prevent pinging and as an oxegenate I guess plus whatever they use for preventing vapor lock in cars for the summer) is lousy.

20 years of riding/learning 10 -15 years of wondering why I am having to replace more fouled plugs in the winter, jetting the bike leaner and having awesome power in the winter.... then wondering why I have splooge AND pinging in the summer. 2 years of listening to people on these forums ... applying the science they state to the experience I have had and it is now starting to make sense

mx_361

Oct 14, 2004
When I first started using Motul back in 97 they recommended 50:1. I had been using the Honda HP2 stuff and eating topends and cranks (two cylinders and two cranks in one year). I switched to the Motul, mixed at 50:1 and NEVER scored a piston or smoked a crank in the three bikes that I had after. This was during the time I had an AMA Pro licence and was trying to act fast so I was reving the guts out of these bikes. The powervalves were always clean and the bikes did not smoke. As far as oil making the bike faster, I have a hard time with that one. If that was the case why not dump it in the fourstrokes. They just have to be jetted for the the oil and fuel combo that you use. I think I will give the 50:1 a shot and I will let you guys know. That is if it ever stops snowing and sleeting. Winter sucks.

Top Bottom