2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I have a new to me 05 yz250. I will use it primarily for enduro work and I have grown really fond of how a trials tire works for 98% of the enduro stuff, (it only sucks in high speed whoops).

I was wondering if anyone has changed from the stock 19" rear to a 18" for off road use, and what would be involved?
Could I have a 18" built using the existing hub?

If the 18" turns out to be impractical, what are good 19" tires to concider for SoCal Dez enduro work?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
You could use your hub to lace an 18" wheel, but, then you have a 19" rim and spokes left to sell.

The WR 250/450's come with 18" wheels. I have been looking to buy a used one for a while now; haven't found one yet. If you buy a new hub, you have the option to sell your complete 19" wheel. Good luck & let me know if you find a good option.
KW

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
All it will take to switch to an 18" rear is a new rim, a die to thread the spokes for the smaller wheel, and to cut the spokes down to the correct length. Or you can replace the spokes as well with shorter ones.

Your other option is to get a complete new hub/spokes/rim assembly to mount the 18" on, and keep the stock 19" assembled.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Id be up for selling the 19" complete, but it seems stuff never leaves the garage. LOL
Also, if you havent tried a trials tire, it works pretty well in the sand, besides I have never had a bike that has seen a paddle tire.

Where or who would you bring a wheel to have built? I wouldnt trust myself for that job. Is the WR wheel a direct replacement? What years swap?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A friend and I switched a 19 on a 2002 CR250R to an 18. We used spokes out of a similar year CRF450X.

The trouble with 18's is that the people who run them run them bald. It seems like more 19 guys throw their tires out after 2-3 rides. It's harder to get used tires for the 18.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Also, if you haven't tried a trials tire, it works pretty well in the sand

That's a new one on me....I have my doubts though...

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
2strok4fun said:
Id be up for selling the 19" complete, but it seems stuff never leaves the garage. LOL
Also, if you havent tried a trials tire, it works pretty well in the sand, besides I have never had a bike that has seen a paddle tire.

Where or who would you bring a wheel to have built? I wouldnt trust myself for that job. Is the WR wheel a direct replacement? What years swap?
Keep the 19" with a knobbie or paddle tire mounted up, or sell it to me so I can! LOL.

Buchanan Spoke & Wheel, http://www.buchananspokes.com/
has been around for a long time & do good work.
I'll get you another name tomorrow of someone my good friend, James Embro used to lace up about 20 wheel sets for his Dakar Rally team.

I am pretty sure that all late model WR (?'02-'07) wheels will fit.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
What I was trying to say in my previous post is that you may be able to take an 18 inch rim and install it over your YZ hub using WR spokes.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Rim ~150
Build ~100
spokes ~70

= 320 plus shipping 2 ways.

Looking like buying a complete wheel either new or used would be the ticket and keep the 19 for a knobby for high speed desert stuff.

Anyone got a clean WR wheel?

As for the trials tire in sand, Its been debated so I wont re-hash.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You could always buy a used rim for $25-50, pay $65 for the spokes, and build the wheel yourself. That's what I did with my friend, except he got front and rear rims plus spokes for $50. You don't have to buy everything new (these had been used once).

Top Bottom