tstorms

Aug 10, 2001
I have been looking for a "tweener" bike, that is something great for trails yet nimble, snappy and light enough for an occasional run on the track. The XR 250 I now have is great as it's reliable and easy to ride but is a bit of a slug. From looking around it seems the WR 250F, KTM MXC or EXC might fit the bill. I live in SoCal so I need a green sticker bike which negates the WRF and new KTM's. I am looking at used KTM's with the green stickers particularly a 99 380 MXC, 99 250 EXC, 98 250 MXC and a 97 300 EXC. I returned to riding a few months back after a 15yr. break so I'd like something that is controllable yet something I could advance skills with and not outgrow. Maintenance ease would be nice as well. I am 32 , 6'0" and 170 lbs.

What I am asking is,

1) Which KTM, listed above or not, would best fulfill my needs?
2) Are they reliable and easy to maintain?
3) Are the MXC and EXC that different?

Thank You

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
I understand the 2002 KTM 520 EXC will be green sticker (read in another post). Maybe the 400 will also. The 400 EXC is a spectacular bike, although kinda spendy. I have the 520 and am totally satisfied with the quality of the bike.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Blows my mind that governmental restrictions dictate what bikes we can buy.

anyway....
The mxc is more like the sx models. Of the models you listed, the mxc gearing is comparable to the sx, the exc is a bit diff, but not much.

Exc's have a light, mxc's don't. Won't see many headlights at the track.
The models you listed are also 2-strokes. Also, going past the 250 mxc (2-stroke) will put you into an unlimited class.

Have you considered the Racing Four Strokes? Are they not easier to pass those CA restrictions?
(400 mxc?)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by tstorms
I am looking at used KTM's with the green stickers particularly a 99 380 MXC, 99 250 EXC, 98 250 MXC and a 97 300 EXC
I'd like something that is controllable yet something I could advance skills with and not outgrow. Maintenance ease would be nice as well. I am 32 , 6'0" and 170 lbs.

Given the options above my advice would be the '99 250 exc

KTMer

Aug 5, 2001
Of the bikes listed the suspension advances in the 99'ers is a significant consideration. The wider ratios in the EXC boxes feel better in trail riding and don't seem much of a penalty on track days. The 250 makes strong power and feels noticeably more nimble than the 300, IMHO.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
'97 is the last legal year for green sticker bikes in California, and you can bet that sooner or later the DMV will catch all the bikes they mistakedly gave green stickers to. (Some guys are already experiencing this. If you do a search on green stickers, you'll find a post on this.)
This, unfortunately limits your choices in California if you want to be legal. You can either try to locate an '02 KTM 520 (IMO) or go with the '97 EXC, which will be great on the trails here in Cali, and use the money you saved to upgrade the suspension.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom