Questions about oversteer and fork springs

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am currently riding a 2000 KX500. Bought new this spring, all stock, my weight is 224 with all my gear on. I ride aggressive woods single track and some two-track. I currently have about 100 hours on the bike. Mono race sag is set at 4 inches and static sag is at 1 inch. Forks are set 2 mil over the clamps. NO problems detectable in either the mono or forks as far as stickyness or the like.. New tires with a 752 on front and Michelin mp11 rear (I just put the rear on - it had a 752 on rear too). New tires did not help - well, maybe a little.
I am having an oversteer problem (bike wants to highside over berms). It acts like it doesnt want to turn. If I try to force my way tight into a berm the front washes out.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Woodsy

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Run less race sag. For give the ignorance, but I don't have an in./mm. rule infront of me so I don't know off top of my head what your race sag is. Standard should race sag be 100-95mm. I'd try the 95-98mm range. If this doesn't help try softening your compression. So you can get more dive in your forks. You could try raising your forks in the clamps more maybe 2-3mm. Finally if all else fails check your spring rates. Again I don't have a in./mm conversion in front of me, but your free sag should be between 20-30mm. If I'm understanding your statement properly your saying that you think your front end is not compressing enough. If thats the case these things should help. Also remeber that a 500cc 2-stroke is not gonna be a scalpal in the woods. For the enviroment its big, heavy, and has alot of rotating mass that will resistance to changes in direction. I definately admire you my friend has one that is stock except for a FMF pipe/silencer, and its SCARY fast. Good luck.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yep, moved my forks up in the clamps to the second line (I am guessing about 6 millimeter) and it is WAY better! I put 70 miles of tight stuff on it today with a little of highspeed powerline (to check for headshake) - THAT DID IT! Thanks you guys!!
Woodsy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom